Adhesion promoter for plastic question

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
my 68' Barracuda dash/bezel piece is ready to paint. I have the Adhesion Promoter and was wondering once I apply it to the plastic, how long do I have until I must apply the paint? This is a 3 color part, silver, black, and chrome with clear plastic gauge covers. The chrome will be the trickiest to paint and this means some detailed taping work. I plan to paint in stages which means, for example, covering each color section already painted to do the next. This will take me days. So, my concern is, how much time do I have once I've hit it all with this primer?

If you are painting it in stages, just put the adhesion promoter on in stages. Do the first section (promoter then paint)>mask. Do the second and so on.

One you hit it with adhesion promotor you should hit everything with a full coat whether it be a sealer or the first color over all of it. Most adhesion promotors have a time window. Mask out the next section doing edges with fine line tape, scotch bright gently and hit it with the second color and so on. The quality of tape can make or break something like this so get some good tape, 3m yellow or green and 3m vinyl blue fine line. Cheap tape can bleed, doesn't release nice, sticks hard, and can pull off underlying paint especially if left on for a few days.

Last edited:
One you hit it with adhesion promotor you should hit everything with a full coat whether it be a sealer or the first color over all of it. Most adhesion promotors have a time window. Mask out the next section doing edges with fine line tape, scotch bright gently and hit it with the second color and so on. The quality of tape can make or break something like this so get some good tape, 3m yellow or green and 3m vinyl blue fine line. Cheap tape can bleed, doesn't release nice, sticks hard, and can pull off underlying paint especially if left on for a few days.
Thanks, this helps. What a pain. This all started as a slant six to V8 engine swap and morphed into a total resto by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. You all are saving me from multiple do it agains...

Thanks, this helps. What a pain. This all started as a slant six to V8 engine swap and morphed into a total resto by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. You all are saving me from multiple do it agains...
No problem

Cover the whole thing chrome first. Then liquid mask where req'd to spray the black and argent. Mask to leave the raised letters chrome or lay on a top coat with white.

I just did some interior painting a few weeks ago. Like you, not a lot of experience. Like you, started as one think that snow balled into 35 little things and six weeks 6 hours a day...but I'm happy.
I used the blue 3M tape, got it at O'Reillys. If you use it, a tip, hold the end down with a left finger and pull a little and stretch it off the roll with your right hand. It sticks better.
I used interior paint, got it from Herb's Parts, they have a website great people to talk to and deal with. Interior paint on plastic dries fast so I was able to do several coats in an hour.
A few minutes after my final coat, I SLOWLY pulled the tape off. Also used a lot of newspaper with 3 inch blue painters tape, blankets, etc to protect the rest of the car.
I found 0000 steel wool gently used will take any over spray off chrome.
Take your time, don't spray to much at once.....its work, but you'll be smiling knowing you did it yourself.
PS you'll have to give me a couple good MOPAR shows to come to in KC next summer.
Z

-
Back