Adjustable rockers adjusters problem?..

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I got some 273 rockers and ordered some locking adjusters from summit. I've done this before and had no problem. these ones that came seem to be a little bigger and definitely the ball on the end is much bigger... They say they're for hemi and big blocks as well but maybe I have the wrong size here I think there are 3/8 by 20?...
IMG_20210331_144904.jpg

Any help for knowledge on this would be appreciated thank you...

I got some 273 rockers and ordered some locking adjusters from summit. I've done this before and had no problem. these ones that came seem to be a little bigger and definitely the ball on the end is much bigger... They say they're for hemi and big blocks as well but maybe I have the wrong size here I think there are 3/8 by 20?...
View attachment 1715716755
Any help for knowledge on this would be appreciated thank you...
You should use the search function and do some studying. I thought you were smarter than that. I guess not. I could tell you what is the problem but I am just a dumb *** in your eyes as per all your red X's.

You should use the search function and do some studying. I thought you were smarter than that. I guess not. I could tell you what is the problem but I am just a dumb *** in your eyes as per all your red X's.
How many times do I have to tell you I'm not smart I'm handsome! LOL...
Now stop getting butt hurt about the red axes they're just little itty bitty small little x's in the bottom corner LOL...
I thought the ones that I bought a long time ago were a little more expensive as well...

How many times do I have to tell you I'm not smart I'm handsome! LOL...
Now stop getting butt hurt about the red axes they're just little itty bitty small little x's in the bottom corner LOL...
I thought the ones that I bought a long time ago were a little more expensive as well...
It's a total lack of respect from you. It's pretty easy to disagree with every post in this forum. And you pretty much do.

It's a total lack of respect from you. It's pretty easy to disagree with every post in this forum. And you pretty much do.
Dang it I had to disagree again LOL...
I rarely ever disagree with you.. just because I disagreed with the whole aluminum head thing... Don't worry I'm handsome enough to figure this one out LOL...

Those have the wrong ball size too.
I'm not sure but maybe the ones that I need are out of stock...
One great thing about ordering from Summit I'll just be able to send them back and get what I want. I'm in no hurry...

You need to machine the top of the rocker so the nut sits flat.

You need to machine the top of the rocker so the nut sits flat.
Yes that's what I did on my last set. It's just been many years and I kick myself in the butt for letting that set go. I actually just took a flat file to them. I also got them back from the machine shop to set up my engineers and years ago and they had machine the little groove in the front of them where they were hitting the oversized Springs. I imagine I'll have to do that as well...

I got the set up to do all that, resurface the pad, cut them for the nut, & cut them for the bigger spring

I sent my 273 rockers to Rocker Arms Unlimited in Redding California. He bronze bushed them, resurfaced the rocker pad, spot faced and installed new adjusters with locknuts and hardchromed the shafts. And threw in billet hold downs for free. Really nice old guy.

I do think I have it figured out.. it seems as I got the 3/8 x 24 threaded adjusters with a 3/8 ball.. it looks like I need the 3/8 by 24 with the 5/16 ball. Probably need to run a tap through my rockers to get the pinch out of them...
I think the 3/8 x 24 5/16 ball are out of stock... Probably why I didn't see them...

So just got off the phone with Summit and sending these back. It looks like the part number is 99802-16 which is the 5/16 ball... there's other vendors that have them in stock but I'm not familiar with them.. of course Hughes engine has them at seven bucks a piece and I'm not quite prepared to pay 112 bucks for a set plus shipping...

try Mancini, it looks like they have them for 72 bucks

I'm half tempted to grind down that adjusting pad a bit and see if I can't find some 3/8 24 thin nuts.....

Two different ball sizes, easy to see in the pic posted. Small size is 5/16", large one is 3/8". The ball needs to match the socket that it will be sharing....

-
Back