Adjustable vs. Non adjustable kickdown rod

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So I have a non adjustable kickdown rod from a 75 dart with a 318 and the one on the engine is a 72 dart with a 318.

Is there any advantage to having an adjustable one??

Does anyone know when they went to the non adjustable, which one was used in 1974?

They seem to be the same size and angles but one is adjustable and one isn't.

20200112_151622.jpg

20200112_151141.jpg

It IS adjustable. Just "somewhere else" besides "THERE".

Yep, it has to be adjustable. Are you sure the slotted end doesn't screw off? I can't see in the photo.

Even if the bottom piece is one solid rod, the adjustment is made by bending it. Says so right in the book.

Even if the bottom piece is one solid rod, the adjustment is made by bending it. Says so right in the book.
I don't know where you found that but looks like I need to start buying more service manuals and beef up a library.

I know for a fact the solid one is original to 1975. The engine and car and everything in it is dated 75 and there is no reason for any of that to have been changed

I'd throw that non adjustable one in the scrap barrel as soon as I knew the adjustable one worked on that car. I like adjustments without bending stuff up.

Or......

Just refer to the proper FSM to see what the adjustment procedure is - if there was one.

Throwing original parts away is just silly.

OR you could get a same size turnbuckle from the hardware store and cut out some of the straight section of that rod. Tap threads on both ends and presto, you just made it adjustable. I've done it before and it works well.

Thanks for the input and suggestions, as always you guys are the Go To's.

I think I am just going to replace it with an adjustable one, the adjustable units are far more common anyway.

When it has a nonadjustable rod on top it will have an adjustable rod on the bottom-the one that hooks up to the transmission. You need two people to adjust those. The threaded rod on top is much easier to adjust.

When I have one that is not adjustable on top, I cut the flat slotted part off and thread the rod and install a threaded end. Then you have a possible adjustment on both ends. But I have a big box of 318 and other assorted linkages that I cut up and modify for whatever I need. I never had to buy a cable kickdown and never will!

-
Back