Advanced Corn on the Cob...

-

Dusterdenovo

Contentedly Old School
Reaction score
So, after 50+ years of eating corn on the cob the hard way (peeling, plucking all the stubborn hairs off, dealing with the mess etc.) my buddy showed me this technique. Maybe everyone knows this but me, but in case you dont:

Microwave an ear "as is" for 2 minutes (depending on the wattage of your Microwave).
20180819_175646.jpg

Hold the cob with a towel or something (its pretty hot) and cut off the stalk end catching the first row of kernels with the cut off piece
20180819_175728.jpg

Hold the pointy end and squeeze the cob out of the husk. Kinda like squeezing toothpaste. Or something else - you'll see what I mean...
20180819_175815.jpg

The cob pops out without any hairs, stringy stuff or anything - ready to butter up and devour.
20180819_180029.jpg

Cleanup is the nice neat bundle of husk and the end cut.

Just finished pigging out on some delicious Chilliwack BC Peaches and Cream corn that we picked up on a Duster cruise out to Cultus Lake. Crazy good!!!

Last edited:
So, after 50+ years of eating corn on the cob the hard way (peeling, plucking all the stubborn hairs off, dealing with the mess etc.) my buddy showed me this technique. Maybe everyone knows this but me, but in case you dont:

Microwave an ear "as is" for 2 minutes.
View attachment 1715213044
Hold the cob with a towel or something (its pretty hot) and cut off the stalk end catching the first row of kernels with the cut off piece
View attachment 1715213045
Hold the pointy end and squeeze the cob out of the husk. Kinda like squeezing toothpaste. Or something else - you'll see what I mean...
View attachment 1715213046
The cob pops out without any hairs, stringy stuff or anything - ready to butter up and devour.
View attachment 1715213047
Cleanup is the nice neat bundle of husk and the end cut.

Just finished pigging out on some delicious Chilliwack BC Peaches and Cream corn that we picked up on a Duster cruise out to Cultus Lake. Crazy good!!!
Works well. I cut the ends off anyway for the skewers anyway.

Sorry, man eats chicken, chicken eats corn
Do not skip the chicken

Is two minutes in the microwave enough time to fully cook the corn?

Cool trick for dealing with the hair!!

You know if you peel a banana from the "wrong" end, you dont get those stringers either. Its easier too, just pinch the blunt end and it splits. You dont even need to break the stem off. Fresh corn is amazing to eat, like sugar off the stalk. Those sugars start turning to starch the minute its picked.

I did a couple of ears that way last week!!! My kids found that way to do it last summer. Works great. The internet says to cook 3-5 minutes, i did 4 and was waaaaaay to hot to eat, had to let it sit for 10 minutes, next time i'll go 2 or 3 and see how it is.

Is two minutes in the microwave enough time to fully cook the corn?

Cool trick for dealing with the hair!!

Yup, can't stand eating anything with hair on it. I hate when they get stuck in the back of your throat.

To think that I've been doing wrong all these years...

I heard those microwaves can kill you.
Hey it's what I heard, I also heard;
Cell phones can melt your brain
second-hand cigarette smoke can kill you
Obesity causes heart attacks
Having Diabetes is a real PITA
If you get Arthritis, it's life altering
It's safe to fly in a plane.
Living under a high-voltage electrical main-line is OK
Elvis was spotted in........ name a town.
Marriage is good for what ails y; Get a dog, you wont need a treadmill; When you get older, you'll have more time; Two can live cheaper than one; Kids don't need spankings; Doctors are smart; Cows are stupid brute beasts;UFOs are friendlys;
Bigfoots exist/or don't; and Giants don't exist,never have/never will.

I did a couple of ears that way last week!!! My kids found that way to do it last summer. Works great. The internet says to cook 3-5 minutes, i did 4 and was waaaaaay to hot to eat, had to let it sit for 10 minutes, next time i'll go 2 or 3 and see how it is.
I tried this yesterday,except did for 2 minutes at 70% (750watter). melted a little butter on her and a hint of salt and Mmmmmmmmmm
I hadda go back for two more.
But I gotta tell ya, I think the microwaves took an hour to relax inside me .....lol.

So if it's advanced corn on the cob, does that mean it has 112 kernels but you cut 4 off to advance it to 108 kernels so you eat it a little quicker? Does it provide more energy right off the bat, or later on in the power stroke? Do you have to use a kernel wheel to advance it? I wanna know how this works.

At the farm, l chose, peel, and taste each type of corn cuz We want the best, and it changes each week.
People look at me funny as I chew on "uncooked" corn.
We purchase all we test.
Folks always follow and ask/choose the corn we pick,
We find eating raw corn as refreshing as, mmm watermelon, or grapes.
We eat the raw "test" cobs on the way home in the car.
Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised, - lotta folks eat
small raw corn cobs in salads, and seem to forget that.
Corn only needs to be warm enuff to melt the butter.
Cheers.

Last edited:
So if it's advanced corn on the cob, does that mean it has 112 kernels but you cut 4 off to advance it to 108 kernels so you eat it a little quicker? Does it provide more energy right off the bat, or later on in the power stroke? Do you have to use a kernel wheel to advance it? I wanna know how this works.

You advance it by turning up the speed, like in this video

When you cook your corn, however you choose to do it....stand it up and cut the corn off the cobb with a knife. Discard the cobb. Then mix in about a tablespoon full of peanut butter with the hot corn. Don't turn your nose up and say yuck until you try it! I'm a picky eater food snob, and I like it every now and then after I tried it.

At a local (Chilliwack) car show 2 weekends ago, your entry fee included "all you can eat corn on the cob". They were busy husking from 8:00am, had 2 big pots of melted butter that they dipped the corn into. It's even easier when someone else does all the work!!

I wanted to say thanks for the tip. Tonight I tried it and it worked slicker than a meat skin! Though in my camper I had to nuke them for 3 minutes each. I'm sure it is a lower powered microwave.

-
Back