Advice asked for widthening rims on a 70 Duster

Tires and Wheels (Mopar Hubcaps Too)

1. jefcharger

jefcharger Can't fixit? Forget it...

Local Time:
    5:56 AM
    Hi all, I need some help. I have a 70 Duster, stock height. 8 3/4 rear axle. Small bolt pattern (5x4"). Current rims and tyres are all 4:
    14" x 5.5 J rims with 205/75/14 tyres.
    In front I am pretty confident, tyres might be 70 high instead of 75. In the back I want to go wider. Now I found someone who can proffesionally weld a ring in the rim on the outside of the rim. The side you can see. That way the backspace will remain stock. Now is my question to you: how wide can I go with the rim, get a wide tyre on it that still is a common size tyre and easy available but fits the wheel well closest to the fender possible? I calculated a bit and am thinking this: widen the rim to 7" and fit 225 tyres, but what will it look like and what height should I go for? I am thinking 70. Would love to see pics of someone who has a similar set up with good pics to be able to see how close the tyre is to the fender. Advice is appreciated too. Thnx!!!

2. RPMagoo

RPMagoo Just An Old Motorhead

Local Time:
    10:56 PM
    This is a 8" rim, with a 245/60-15" tire, on a 70 Duster (LBP - 8-3/4 rear). -- Duster - 3.JPG Duster - Gone - 7-16-18-2.JPG

3. jefcharger

Local Time:
    Cool, but that tyre size isnt available in 14". What would height 60 do on a 14" / 235? Compared to the front wheel which is 205/75/14?

4. replicaracer43

replicaracer43 Old school member

Local Time:
    If you want to find a decent selection of tire sizes, ditch the 14" tires. Pretty much obsolete these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • jefcharger

Local Time:
      Thnx, I found out that much indeed, I have a brandnew set of cragar ss 17/45/235/8" which I temporarely mounted on the car with adapters to convert to the 5 x 4,5 pattern ( they will go on my 69 charger when finished the resto one time) , but due to the adapters the rims are 1" too wide for the Duster, exactly the thickness of the adapters. I want to keep the 14's because of my budget. Converting to 15's would mean new rims and tyres and when not using the adapters I would have to convert the rear axle... Pretty costly, want to avoid that

• George Jets

George Jets 1967 Dart 2 Door FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      There was an outfit here in the Twin Cities that sold me a set of 15 x 7 mopar ralley wheels SBP, they had made them up from 14 x 5 stock wheels. Put 225 70 15s on them.

Sheridon Performance.

74 Dart pictured here SBP front and rears

205 70 14 fronts
      225 70 15 rears

2019042595113922.jpg

• Dana67Dart

Dana67Dart Like a fine wine, only getting better with age! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      9:56 PM
      IMHO.

If you are going to spend the cash to widen your wheels, go to 15" and have custom 5x4 SBP centers.

Forgot to mention Stockton wheel (iirc) will convert a 14"wheel to 15" wheel, I imagine they can widen at the same time

• Agree Agree x 1
      • jefcharger

Local Time:
        Thnx George Jets, they look nice Looking at your picture, I guess a 235 would fit too?

• jefcharger

Local Time:

• jefcharger

Local Time:
        Dana67Dart, btw, another problem I didnt mention..: I am in Europe, the Netherlands

• George Jets

George Jets 1967 Dart 2 Door FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Dusters have a bigger wheel opening on the rear quarters compared to the Darts so they can accept a bigger tire.

235s go into the 60 series tires . . . a little less height than the 70 series.

Depends on the look you are going for.

• jefcharger

Local Time:
        George Jets, yeah, I was thinking that too. To solve the problem of the car being too high in the front I was thinking to go to 205/70 instead of the 75 currently. That way the stance will be better I assume, when 235/60/14 are mounted in the back.
        There would be only a difference in height less than a fifth of an inch I calculated. Speedometer would only be 0.78 % off

• tinman2

tinman2 ProStock A-bodies FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        11:56 PM
        Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
      • tinman2

Local Time:
      • tinman2

Local Time:
      • tinman2

Local Time:
      • halfafish

halfafish 66 Valiant, hot-rod in training FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        8:56 PM
        I had 14" tires and wheels on my Valiant for a while. To give you an idea on stance, here is what it looked like with 205/70/14 in front on a 5" wide rim, and 245/60/14 in the rear on a 7" wide rim. I had no trouble at all fitting them in my wheel wells. The are sitting on my tired 53 year old worn out suspension.

DSCN5272.JPG

After a while I needed new tires, and wasn't going to put money into the 14" setup for the reasons listed by others - tire selection is very poor. I went to 15" rims from Wheel Vintique, which are just a hair over $100 each from Summit Racing, 215/65/15 on a 6" wide rim in the front and 246/60/15 on a 7" wide rim in the back. I still have no trouble fitting them in the wells, and these are still SBP. Same worn out suspension.

P7140794.JPG

Your rear wells on a Duster are quite a bit wider than mine. The Duster experts will chime in, but I'm pretty sure a 255/60/15 fits easy. If you want to stay with the 14" rims for economy's sake, BF Goodrich is about the only game in town for tires. If it was me and I had to get new/bigger tires, I'd pop the extra money for 15" SBP rims and go that route.

20160921_181023_1480009519488_resized.jpg

Oops. Somehow the tan 14" rims showed up on another picture and I can't figure out how to get rid of it! :(

• jefcharger

Local Time:
        Tinman2, thnx..!!
        That car has the perfect looks on its wheels... 275 would probably better he says... Still pretty wide
        I will have to recalculate.. 295/50 would mean its height is 50% of 295 mm. Somewhere just a little less then 6 inches then

• jefcharger

Local Time:
        @halfafish: that is very cool, thnx, i love the stance with the 205/70 combined with the 245's. It makes me wanna go to 7 inch with a 235, 245 or 255. In front i will need to go from the current 205/75/14 on a 5.5 J rim to a 205/70/14 on that same rim. In the back I can easily go from 5.5 J to 7J. The added one and a half inch on just the outside of the rim cannot be stretched to 7 and a half I guess? Backspace will remain stock

Btw: what does SBP mean? Small bolt pattern I guess?

• halfafish

halfafish 66 Valiant, hot-rod in training FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Yes, SBP means Small Bolt Pattern. BBP is Big Bolt Pattern.

• flingdingo

flingdingo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        There are several 15 inch SBP wheels available from Summit. Use 5x101.6mm as the bolt pattern, they don't list a 5x4 inch pattern. They also offer BF Goodrich and Cooper tires in 235-60-14 if you want to stay with your 14 inch wheels.

I don't know if they ship to the Netherlands, but I'm sure there are ways around that issue.

• rustycowll69

rustycowll69 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        the 15in ralleys, and the 14in ralleys have the same dia center stamping. I sent a set of SBP 14in ralleys to Willamette Wheel in Portland 40+ yrs ago. I don't know if the are still there. They cut the centers out of the 14's and welded them into some blank 15in rims. voila. 15x7in SBP ralleys.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Keith Mopar

Keith Mopar Mopar Nut

Local Time:
          I had some 14 x 5.5 ralleys widened to 7.5 inches by cutting the front of the rim off and adding a larger piece and the back spacing is stock. I'm running 265 50 14's on them. I did this about 15 years ago but if I had to do it today I would go with 15's as there is so much better tire selection. On the front I have 215 60's 14's.

demnicpost.jpg

• jefcharger

Local Time:
          First of all: thnx so far everyone for thinking along and helping
          I might have another solution with which I might keep my original 14" steel rims original. I have the opportunity tot get some steel 15" rims that come off a pt cruiser, it has 5 x 100 bolt pattern. Does anyone know if these will fit my drumbrake rear axle Duster? Especiially the backspace I would like to know. I can have the outer side widened for free to gain more dept. And how about the center bore. I think it might be slightly too small, but I could have that bored larger I guess. Opinions, marks or suggestions please? Thanx again

• Keith Mopar

Keith Mopar Mopar Nut

Local Time:
          I don't think the 5 x 100 pattern is close enough to bolt on a 5 x 4 car. 100mm is 3.93", although I haven't tried it myself. I don't think I would do it. Also a FWD rim does has tons of backspace so that part might be ok.

Can you try to bolt it on the car?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
        1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
          By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.