Advice for all you car people!

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of several car forums. I love the sharing of experiences and information. There is a staggering wealth of knowledge out there and I'm humble to be a part of that.
I see members post about their projects and I post about mine. I'm probably middle of the pack in terms of skill and money. There are guys that have ratty cars, they scrape whatever money they can find to do each part of their car. On the other end, we have the trailer queen crowd that often do more check writing than they do wrench spinning.
When a member starts a thread asking for assistance, I am glad to help if I have the right answer. If they ask for opinions, I'm glad to give mine.
It isn't always easy though. Some people make it hard to help them. I suggest the following:
1) When asking for help, please provide enough information to assist others in finding a fix. Starting a thread with My car runs bad. Is it the ignition or carburetor? while not even mentioning the type of car, engine, transmission, additional symptoms....What kind of help do you think you'll get?
2) If responses come in that fix your problem, be sure to thank the member. If the responses don't help, thank them anyway. Some of us have LONG memories and may scroll by you the next time if we think that you are not decent enough to show some appreciation.
3) If a bit of time goes by and you remember a thread you started, pop in and give a progress report. Sometimes a member suggests something that is a shot in the dark and it is nice to learn when a Hail Mary fix was successful. If you're still having trouble, mention that. Maybe someone will have a new idea for you.

Feel free to add to this list.

Thumb UP.JPG

Amen KernDog, information is crucial to giving the OP the information or suggestion they are looking for. As far as some of the "so called humor" some try to post, it's really not needed. A newbie OP may take it as offensive & move on because they don't understand that some of us poke fun at each other.

Last edited:
I think it goes both ways.... not enough info sometimes, but other times when the proper info is given, they get slapped for asking :D
  1. Q - "I have a stock 318 in my valiant, I'm overall happy but would like to add a little more snap to it. Would a 4bbl and dual exhaust be noticeable?" A. - "buy a 5.9 magnum"
  2. Q - "I bought a 5.9 magnum to replace my 318 for a little more power and was going to refresh it. This will be my first engine rebuild, anything in particular I should look for??? A. - Buy a Scat Stroker kit

I read one the other day, was 500 words. No punctuation,like one long sentence. My mind refuses to process it. Dont think i responded.
I try to assume everybody has a low budget like me,and not necessarily in a hurry.

Being an adult, i try to be a gentleman when it comes to posting a question or an answer and try to ignore the harsh words of other members.

what i really cant stand is the bickering that happens in some threads, between members that were not original posters of threads. Thankfully we have good moderators that pull on the reins when necessary.

This forum has got to be one of the best, there isnt a single question that cant be answered if it hasnt already.

Might I add there is no such thing as a stupid question. It is dumb to not ask an question. Therefore, people answering such should always remember this.
Not everyone was born a mechanic or engineer.

I'm a member of several car forums. I love the sharing of experiences and information. There is a staggering wealth of knowledge out there and I'm humble to be a part of that.
I see members post about their projects and I post about mine. I'm probably middle of the pack in terms of skill and money. There are guys that have ratty cars, they scrape whatever money they can find to do each part of their car. On the other end, we have the trailer queen crowd that often do more check writing than they do wrench spinning.
When a member starts a thread asking for assistance, I am glad to help if I have the right answer. If they ask for opinions, I'm glad to give mine.
It isn't always easy though. Some people make it hard to help them. I suggest the following:
1) When asking for help, please provide enough information to assist others in finding a fix. Starting a thread with My car runs bad. Is it the ignition or carburetor? while not even mentioning the type of car, engine, transmission, additional symptoms....What kind of help do you think you'll get?
2) If responses come in that fix your problem, be sure to thank the member. If the responses don't help, thank them anyway. Some of us have LONG memories and may scroll by you the next time if we think that you are not decent enough to show some appreciation.
3) If a bit of time goes by and you remember a thread you started, pop in and give a progress report. Sometimes a member suggests something that is a shot in the dark and it is nice to learn when a Hail Mary fix was successful. If you're still having trouble, mention that. Maybe someone will have a new idea for you.

Feel free to add to this list.

View attachment 1715638310

I'm not annoyed by basic questions . what annoys me is folks think they can restore ANY vehicle for $19.95 . this is not a cheap hobby , period ! I got a second job to pay for mine , sold Mopar parts for 13 years and traveled all over the Northeast for my hobby . There are some remarkable folks on this forum and I am proud to be a small part of it . I've met people in this hobby who have forgot more than I'll ever know and I hope some of it has rubbed off on me . Stay safe and God Bless America

By the same token, when responding to a legitimate request for help, don't be a d**khead and reply with "just swap to a big block".
Or dump the 318 for a 340/360... etc...
Some guys are just simply working with what they have. Others what a bit more of a challenge by working on a smaller engine.

This is the best car forum I have seen. I have learned a lot. As with any public outing, there are a variety of personalities. Some are helpful and amusing, some are not. I am probably one of the worst on thank you’s. I just don’t think about it. Technically oriented people are often not the most social. So I actually am thankful, even if I don’t express it.

Th lack of “Thank You’s” is Insignificant to me but the Abundant arrogant holier than thou replies and insults are a bit much. SOME people forget they once knew nothing. If your replying to a question of help, you are now a teacher. Be patient in your explanations and the learning curve of others instead of a curt reply.

Th lack of “Thank You’s” is Insignificant to me but the Abundant arrogant holier than thou replies and insults are a bit much. SOME people forget they once knew nothing. If your replying to a question of help, you are now a teacher. Be patient in your explanations and the learning curve of others instead of a curt reply.

Funny how my mind started ringing like a pinball machine, knowing which ones you're referring to!

:rofl:

Funny how my mind started ringing like a pinball machine, knowing which ones you're referring to!
I’m sure there are a few people that fit that Bill as excellent as yoga pants on that hot young perfectly balanced body does, but I did have a person or two in mind when I wrote that though that happens to fit many people.

The hardest part of a forum when reading text is to know when someone is putting forth a joke (in its various forms) and then Gets taken seriously as arrogant, holier than thou, smart ***, or insinuating that you’re dumb and know nothing or just plane old stupid.

Some people are blatant about this. Others are not. Who these people are in your head may not be the ones I was thinking of. Then again, there is a small host of frequent offenders that are blatant where no mistake can be made of there posts intentions and meanings.

Or dump the 318 for a 340/360... etc...
Some guys are just simply working with what they have. Others what a bit more of a challenge by working on a smaller engine.

It's called the spice of life..... That 318 number is just that a number. Same as a 3.8 GM. It's all junk until it ends up in a Buick Grandnational. Same basic motor.

Ignore fixes that.... Those cats can be all the legends in their minds they want to be....

JW

:rofl:

One thing that bugs me is when a guy asks a technical question and receives about fourteen responses, one of which is correct. Why do people feel the need to respond when they don't know the correct answer? Making suggestions is fine, but make it clear that it is a suggestion or a possibility. Or, are there that many who make a mistake? How does the poor guy searching for information sift through the guys who respond matter of factly, as if they know, to find the one guy who actually provided the correct answer.

If you know an answer respond. If you don't know just leave your hands off the keyboard unless the person has stated that they are looking for suggestions or opinions.

Mine is red.....Oh, you want constructive advice? Tell us what it is, what you've done to it and what you've tried so far. Then we can give some answers. Ie, More performance out of your slant six car, get a taller rear end. More out of the slant: mill the head and get a bigger exhaust head pipe...just suggestions.

To say "There are no stupid questions" is nice and polite but come on...There really ARE stupid questions. People ask them every day. The best that one can do is to be polite and answer with as much detail and simplicity as you can muster.
At 17 years old, I thought I knew enough to replace my points in the distributor. I pulled the old ones out and put new ones in. I had no idea that they had to be set to a specific gap. I cranked and cranked on it until the battery was almost dead. Back then, hardly anyone had a battery charger. I had to call a friend to ask for help. He was amazed that I didn't know about how to set the points.

I was on another forum once and someone asked a question, and one of the "popular" know-it-alls posted and said, I don't know the answer but I'm sure someone must and will chime in.

Some people have to see their words and name in print, regardless of whether or not it's helpful I guess.

One thing that bugs me is when a guy asks a technical question and receives about fourteen responses, one of which is correct. Why do people feel the need to respond when they don't know the correct answer?

I was on another forum once and someone asked a question, and one of the "popular" know-it-alls posted and said, I don't know the answer but I'm sure someone must and will chime in.
I have seen that. Maybe the respondent was trying to bump the thread up to get more attention for the OP ?

Sometimes, when the question comes with little to no background information, responses can be inaccurate but may still point in the right direction.
What I've found is some responses to what is not even a question, but part of the plans for a particular build, some of the "know it alls" chime in with their opinions, often totally disregarding the op's actual plans for the project. That's just ignorance IMO.

THIS brings me to another portion of this topic.
WHEN you ask for help from people and get it, SHOW APPRECIATION.
I don't mind giving up some time to help people out. Sometimes, I really enjoy it. If I'm going to help you, don't stand around watching or disappear while I am doing the work. I'm not a hired hand and not your kid.
IF I'm there in the heat and doing the work, OFFER something to drink. Don't make me ask for it.
Have the parts ready. Have tools ready. Have hand cleaner and towels. If I'm there and you have to look for things in drawers, under a tarp, in a shed in the backyard or in the house, it wastes my time. If the parts are dirty, damaged or incomplete, it wastes my time. If it is the wrong part, I don't blame that on you...stuff happens.

Here is an experience that some of you may have had in the past.

I met this guy in a car club. Years prior, he tore down his car to restore it. It was a bold move because these cars are not cheap or easy to restore. This is his first restoration and this guy has only a basic understanding of cars. He is not an idiot but not a hard core car guy either. He would ask the advice of the club members and resist the advice that he was given. Being retired, he was not rich enough to pay anyone to finish the car. He asked for my help with his car and even though I didn't really like the guy much, I agreed to help. I told him that I would show him how to do things on one side of the car and that he would then do the other side. He made one excuse or another as to why he couldn't do it.
Months later when he was ready to install the engine, he called 3 guys over to help. This was on a Summer day where even by 10:00 AM, it was 84 degrees and climbing. He had zero skills installing an engine so it was best to keep him out of the way. The three of us installed the engine and headers while he just putted around. About 3 hours in, he finally offers us some water. No mention of food, beer, Gatorade or even any thanks along the way. We are there sweating and working while he watches and he doesn't even think of how he should repay these favors.
That is some real inconsiderate ****.
I have done work for some older car guys that offer me some parts or something as a payment. I'm fine with that. This guy though....It isn't as if the guy has anything that I want. In my own life and projects, He can offer me nothing in terms of help because of his lack of skills. He has no money to pay anyone for the help. If he were in a wheelchair or something, I'd feel different but this guy walks just fine.
Friendship is one thing. If a friend needs help, I give it without expecting money. I know that he would do the same for me.
A casual acquaintance like this guy needed to offer money, food or something to repay the favor. He did none of that until I spoke up as we were finishing up for the day. He acted surprised when I was pissed about it. He tried to make excuses but I wasn't having any of it. He used people to get work done, plain and simple. I know that I could have just walked away at any time but the other 2 guys were great dudes but not as familiar with these cars as I am. I let him guilt me into helping. I learned my lesson on this guy. I am the only one to blame for allowing him to guilt me into helping. I will not make the same mistake again nor will I ever do anything else to help him.
Since then, I see him asking questions quite frequently. I smile and scroll on by each time I see them.

I quit tossing in my 2 cents, because the next guy just wants to bust your azz and make you look stupid. I have a couple go to guys I go to privately anymore for questions and help. And do the same if I can offer up any help.

But on the other hand, the OP asks a question & is give correct information. From there, the OP argues & says his situation is correct. I've seen it recently & I didn't add my two cents worth because I wanted to tell the OP that if he was so smart the shouldn't have asked the question to begin with. On this site, there are multiple, multiple decades of information/knowledge & if used as it is intended there would be a bunch of fine looking & running A bodies.

-
Back