Advice on 440 into 74 Duster exhaust

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
I was wondering what my best option here is as far as fitment for my swap coming up. Before i went spending any money i wanted to see if anyone has tried fitting shorty headers, or more specifically, 1-3/4" Shorty Headers
For an RB swap?

I know the header question comes up often but i don't see many talking about using shorty headers.
For my application i wanted to use power steering and a column shifter. I don't know if there is a way to avoid cutting up the tube on the steering column but I currently have a 69 C body HP drivers side manifold and a passenger side truck log manifold. These use to be accepted as the most painless way to fit an RB into a duster but it now looks like people are saying that they have fitment issues as well. I'm not looking for power, i have a slightly cammed 440 motorhome boat anchor and that's just fine. Does anyone have an opinion on what i should do?

Here are the manifolds I currently posses, ignore the ugly paint please I only had white on hand!

0F7F86B5-178A-48CC-A01A-B211040B63FC.jpeg

9AA72CB2-944F-43D6-97EF-609CB015F55D.jpeg

Last edited:
Schumacher is selling Tri Y's again. Other than that, TTI's fit as well. Both are pricey, Tri Y is an easier fit and you can run PS as well

I haven't seen the Schumachers in stock since like 2014 and they are currently not in stock. Do when they plan on making more of them?

Email him. They never did show back up but they made a run of 40 of them, I know it is true as I bought a pair and have them at home

Alright, i'll try emailing him to see what he has, if i remember right the Tri-Ys were the best fitting header for the swap anyway.

70-71 B-body performance manifolds from any performance Big block car . 69 and earlier drivers side won't fit.

'68-69 driver side fits EXACTLY the same as '70-73 (B-body HP manifolds). '67 is different and will only fit with a "B" block. By the time you figure out the value of B-body manifolds (whether you are buying or selling) and buying head pipes you're pretty close to the cost of headers. I run manifolds for the stock look plus I've always got a great deal on the manifolds.

Since I already own the manifolds I was thinking about just using those but are you saying that the drivers side HP manifold won't actually fit?

Since I already own the manifolds I was thinking about just using those but are you saying that the drivers side HP manifold won't actually fit?

'68-73 B/E HP manifolds will fit an RB block in an A-body IF you shorten the outer sleeves of the steering column up to the firewall.

My point was that whether you own the manifolds you have to consider their value. You either need to buy them OR you could sell them...

I understand now. For an almost stock engine I don't feel that the manifolds give up too much power. If Shumacher does have Tri-Ys I would personally rather use those instead but that is all up in the air right now. As far as the value of the HP manifold, I'm concerned less about that then fitment and the potential headache of replacing headers every 5-6 years (if there is even any gasoline by then)

67-73 B bodys work well. These are 70s

DSC00415_zpsm9zcrvg4.jpg

DSC00416_zpsinbxrdya.jpg

I just remembered that I have a set of B body headers on hand, I just need to dent them in the right spots.

-
Back