Advice on stroker kits

-

Hallzy

Reaction score
So I have picked up a 400 and 727 to swap in place of the 318.
Anybody have any advice for me ?
I'm looking at the 500 stroker kit from 440source and was thinking of using a trick flow 240 top end kit as well.
Any thoughts on this

IMG_20171028_154641_026.jpg

So I have picked up a 400 and 727 to swap in place of the 318.
Anybody have any advice for me ?
I'm looking at the 500 stroker kit from 440source and was thinking of using a trick flow 240 top end kit as well.
Any thoughts on this

View attachment 1715118978
sounds like a good plan to me. U should read all of Andy F. posts, he`s got this !

We've used a few 440Source kits over the years without any problems. When I build an engine for myself I usually go with Molnar cranks and rods but some of that is pricing and availability. Last engine we used K1 parts with JE pistons since it was all in stock and had free shipping. When you're building engines for people the little things like having parts in stock and free shipping can make the difference. If you are building an engine for yourself and you are not in a hurry for the parts then I'd just spend some time looking at Moparts and other online forums for parts. It isn't hard to find stroker kits for sale that people bought and never used. If you are in a hurry to buy parts then pick up the phone and talk to 440Source, Molnar, Hughes Engines, Mancini Racing, etc. At least one of those places will have a complete stroker kit on the shelf and ready to ship that day.

Machine shop got back to me today block was tanked magged and sonic tested looks like i got a winner also found some stealth heads and roller rockers I can't afford the trick flows unfortunately but for a street car ice cream with the kids kinda driver I think the cheaper heads will be ok now what is it gonna be 451 471 500 not sure I'm leaning towards 471

When building my 400 block based 500, I specified 440 length rods. That made the pistons really short and the oil ring was partially in the pin boss. I would go with a shorter rod, or a shorter stroke, to gain more piston skirt. My engine has noticeable piston slap. One advantage of the short piston is that it only weighs about 500 grams, so it is a quick revving engine.

Stick with the smaller stroke choices for the longer life durability (in a low deck). That's plenty enough of an engine, to go get "ice cream" in a dart!

A 470 should provide enough cubes to do what ever is needed. Like you said, your not racing. Even if you were, 470 cubes “race built” can provide a good sum of power.

A lot of the power is in the heads and the overall intake track. I like the new trick flow package. Install the cam in the power range you intended to drive in and you’ll be pretty set.

Stay away from the 440 source adjustable roller rockers. Had a lot of trouble with the adjusters breaking. No problems with there stroker kits.

471" with the 6.535 BB Chevy (2.2" crankpins/.990" piston pins) rods works awesome. Enough piston skirt and lightweight assembly. In an RB block you would use a 7.1" BB Chevy-spec rod to get a lightweight piston with skirt stability. 440 Source kit should be fine, get the rod ends checked and verify the balance. I prefer ROSS pistons, so I bought the rods and crank from 440 Source and did my own balancing with the ROSS pistons. Enjoy!!

It's going to be a 452 in build going for reliability 440 crank stealth heads(Hopefully porting if money is available) performer rpm intake not sure of cam yet shooting for 10.5:1 would like to keep it pump gas friendly. I wish I knew enough to put it all together myself but I'm to much of a rookie.I'm leaving that to experienced hands

20180208_094443.jpg

-
Back