Advice small block K frame with Schumacher conversion mounts for a big block

-

Bigboy 68

it is what it is
Reaction score
I’m not sure but I think I read in another thread that mods need to be done to a small block K frame with using Schumacher big block conversion mounts any help on this would be appreciated

I’m not sure but I think I read in another thread that mods need to be done to a small block K frame with using Schumacher big block conversion mounts any help on this would be appreciated
'67-72 A-Body B/RB Installation

On my 73 dart with spool mounts, I also had to drill a new hole on the drivers side mount. But you said Biscuit mounts, so what i said won't matter to you. Don't forget to post pics of your build.

My car had a 318 in it, biscuit mounts...just needed the notch for the big block oil pump

I dont know if you can zoom in on the detail, and I'll try and find you a better pic, but this is a small block "K" in a '69 with Schumacher biscuit mounts and a notch for the pump.

I dont know if you can zoom in on the detail, and I'll try and find you a better pic, but this is a small block "K" in a '69 with Schumacher biscuit mounts and a notch for the pump.

IMG_20190805_181317472.jpg

Trial fit it before cutting the notch for the oil pump.
I have done many of these conversations and every k frame is slightly different.

I had one k frame that didn't require a notch cut at all, the ear sat back far enough that it didn't touch and this was how it was from the factory.

Others I have done, the template didnt put the notch in the right place or the size of the notch on the template was off.

Best way is trial fit and mark where your notch is needed with a marker.

Found a close up of when I did my K-member which was out of a 69' Barracuda with a small block.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 12.39.16 AM.png

I am having a similar problem. The motor is not centered and sits way to the passenger side of the car.
I have the same setup in my 68 with Schumacher setup.
Is this normal?

Is this normal?

Have you checked to see if the motor is sitting level in the K-frame, by checking it with the car on a level surface side-to-side, evenly loaded (or unloaded really). There is some room to jockey the biscuits in the K-frame to level it. You should realize that all motors are off center to the passenger side for steering clearance too, right??

I am having a similar problem. The motor is not centered and sits way to the passenger side of the car.
Is this normal?

Motor isn't centered in the car. Never was. It's supposed to sit off center.

Is this normal?

Is the transmission centered in the tunnel? How about the driveshaft? It is hard to tell from your question whether or not you have an actual problem. The engine is supposed to be offset to the passenger side so you have to measure and look to make sure it is in the correct location.

I set the motors in there just like you see, but not with the added weight of the alt/pump and other stuff on the front of the motor. I make sure the bolts are torqued in place for the manifold, and the plate is snugged very well too. Those are iron heads, but aluminum would be no worry if it's all torqued down im sure.

I put the engine and trans combo with the headers on already onto the k-frame and then lowered the car onto it.

DSC_1616.JPG

DSC_1619.JPG

I understand it is off center. I have maybe an inch of adjustment and the oil pan hits the K-member. Guess I will just notch the K-member.

I was going to drop the engine / trans in from the top. Is this a major prob going in from the top ?

motor does sit to the passenger side of the bay , and the k frame must be notched for oil pump clearance . this is a slant k frame . with the whole thing welded up and reinforced . now its strong enough for a street a body with a rb powerplant .
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00219.JPG
DSC00220.JPG
DSC00221.JPG
DSC00222.JPG
DSC00223.JPG
DSC00224.JPG
DSC00225.JPG

I was going to drop the engine / trans in from the top. Is this a major prob going in from the top ?
I originally wanted to drop mine in from the top as well, but followed advice on this forum and dropped the k-frame instead. On the plus side, you don't need to take the hood off!
Mine is a RB though, so taller than a B engine.(would hit heater motor and brake booster)
I can't speak to dropping it in from the top, sorry.

Last edited:
-
Back