Advice wanted: Low buck rocker options

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
As the title says, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck on a set of roller rockers. I have a 318 with small valve 360 heads, Carter AFB on top of an LD340 intake, with headers.
Cam: Com XE-262
Lift............................ .462"/.470"
Duration..................... 262*/270*
Duration @ .050" Lift... 218*/224"

I'd rather not put $1000 into rockers on stock heads, so what's my best low dollar option?

No offense but you don't have much cam, You wont see any improvement with a set of rollers. The money would be best spent somewhere else if your looking for more performance. If you really want adj. rockers the factory 273 rockers might be a better choice for what your running right now. JMO.

273 adjustable rockers...with the correct pushrods

No offense but you don't have much cam, You wont see any improvement with a set of rollers. The money would be best spent somewhere else if your looking for more performance. If you really want adj. rockers the factory 273 rockers might be a better choice for what your running right now. JMO.

I agree

There's really no appreciable benefit on any engine from roller rockers regarding power. It's arguable at best. What's not arguable is the friction loss at the valve stem and the valve guide. Without the rocker scrubbing across the top of the stem, valve stem and guide wear are reduced significantly. Those are benefits you cannot ignore. If 1000 bucks is your threshold, you have lots of choices. I would go with the Comps.

Best low buck, I'm with Tony on a set of 273 rockers...them plus a $50 investment in Crane adjusters and some prep time they'll work on pretty much any street cam hydraulic or solid--I believe there's a set or two in the classifieds right now. If I were still using an LA in my Scamp, I wouldn't have given the set I had to my brother, who's using them on a mild 340 with a Voodoo solid cam and Edelbrock heads...but I digress

If you want some piece of mind and a set you can grow with and reduce friction, and don't mind spending a little, I'm with RRR.

As with anything, spend wisely, you get what you pay for...so, if you're going to drop a few bills on rockers, buy good ones. And while we're all talking about valvetrain, please take your time to measure, clay, degree, and check for proper preload, pushrod length, and rocker geometry...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I've seen a few engines eat up guides within 10K miles because their pushrods were .030" too long...doesn't sound like much, but it does matter...$40 for the correct length pushrods and 30 minutes worth of mockup time would've saved my friend about $450 in parts and labor, plus a week at the machine shop.

My truck has been running the stock stamped ones for almost 10 years now with that cam. You don't need them, and I will virtually guarantee you will not feel any noticable difference. Spend the money elsewhere, or keep it in the wallet.

With that little cam stock stamped rockers will be just fine..

-
Back