Affordable Stand Alone ABS?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as affordable stand alone one channel 2 wheel ABS? I think the rat truck will be pretty light in the rear and since the Dana 60 has ABS provision, I would like to take advantage of it.

mopar action did a tech story year or so ago. all mopar rwd. abs. gather up stuff from bone yard.hardest part seemed the tone wheel in rear but if yours has it.thinking it was from a dakota? unit mounted by the master.looked interesting.

Ford had RABS on pick ups and Vans starting in 88 just a valve in the rear brake line and a module and the sensor in the axle housing most likely the same basic sensor as Dodge.

Brian

Anybody got any links to anything?

The more I look at the diagram of the stock RWAL D350 system, the more it looks stand alone. I think I can make it work.

I guess I should point out the system I am looking at is for the 93 D350 with dual rear wheels.

Don't have the manual in front of me, but my 95 3500 has rear wheel only ABS and I'm thinking it is an oem standalone system.

cant find the article online but looks like you need the dec.2012 issue of mopar action .....it says on the cover something about anti lock brakes.

Attachments

• dec2012.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 265
Thank you dear. That was very kind. I'll see if I can find it. ;)

Sorry Rob I really have zero experience with adapting this stuff. In fact none of the three vehicles I've owned have had poblems, and I've not even "dug into" them

Thanks, Del I may not need it, but I know the truck will be light in the rear. I'll see how it is when I get it going.

the early dakota's used a brake pressure style ABS for the rear wheels, the more the brake was pressed the more the rear lifted pulling on a valve and cutting off fluid to the rear wheels gradually

Well, looking at the wiring diagram for the D350 ABS, I am almost 100% certain that it is stand alone. The ABS module even has its own diagnostic plug and I do not see any links between the ABS computer and the main ECU. If that's the case, I should be able to figure it out. But I will try it first and see what happens.

It was a two part article in Mopar Action (so you need two issues to get the whole story - I think the issue Rani posted the cover shot of was part 2)

A long time ago I worked as an alignment tech. One time I noticed one of those valves under a pick-up.But it wasnt ABS. It was a load sensing proportioning valve.Had a moving arm attached to the underside of the box. You get the picture. Hope this helps.

mopar action did a tech story year or so ago. all mopar rwd. abs. gather up stuff from bone yard.hardest part seemed the tone wheel in rear but if yours has it.thinking it was from a dakota? unit mounted by the master.looked interesting.

IIRC, their ABS stuff came from a B-van...though all the trucks (Ram, B-van, Dak) used the same system. The hydraulics are under the hood, the computer is behind the glove box (vans) or in the kick panel (Dak).

The more I look at the diagram of the stock RWAL D350 system, the more it looks stand alone. I think I can make it work.

It IS entirely standalone, Ehrenberg went into some detail about it in their tech articles.

I'm surprised your 93 doesn't have it, honestly.

-
Back