Aftermarket carb for 273 commando

-

Namehtnad

Reaction score
Hey everybody, i, just today I have become the proud owner of a 67 valiant with a 273 commando. It runs well (as well as it can with a carb that floods it out and frozen jets on said carb), and a leaking timing cover.(gasket already sourced thanks to felpro) and have come to a minor problem sourcing an aftermarket carb to fit the stock intake manifold. I'm not looking to hotrod it, just find a decent 500cfm carb that'll fit. Beautifully solid car other than those 2 issues. Does anyone know where I can find a carb that fits, complete with model number? I have checked jegs, summit, and rockauto to no avail. Please help. Thank y'all.

IMG_20170306_145222226.jpg

IMG_20170306_145240814_HDR.jpg

that engine came with the small AFB, narrow bolt pattern.Look for an older AFB from any mopar 361-383-413 and it will fit. I would put in smaller jets if you find a 413 or 440 AFB.(1966) I may have a 383 carb if you can't find one.

I called Summit a few weeks ago and they had this in stock.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1403/overview/
They probably also have the 1404 manual choke in stock also.

I do appreciate the help, I ran the "will it fit" doohickey through the Edelbrock direct website for that model carb and said it would not. Could they be misinformed or is it a one size fits all? The only applications I found for that model carb is Ford and Chevy later models. I may be wrong, but before I spend 350+ bucks in a carb I need to know it fits.

that engine came with the small AFB, narrow bolt pattern.Look for an older AFB from any mopar 361-383-413 and it will fit. I would put in smaller jets if you find a 413 or 440 AFB.(1966) I may have a 383 carb if you can't find one.
I thank you for the information, I'll check it out.

I think any of the newer 4BBL carbs will have larger secondary butterflies than the holes in the intake, you may need a carb spacer to get a newer carb to work.

That's a pretty rare car if it's factory. There is only a handful of 67 Valiant Commando cars. I only know of 4 that still exist

I think any of the newer 4BBL carbs will have larger secondary butterflies than the holes in the intake, you may need a carb spacer to get a newer carb to work.
Absolutely. I had the secondary holes made larger when I had the intake machined. I used a Edelbrock 1406.

That's a pretty rare car if it's factory. There is only a handful of 67 Valiant Commando cars. I only know of 4 that still exist
VIN VL41E72280545 please tell me it's supposed ta have the commando

The fifth digit E is for the 273 Commando. It is correct. Did that car come from phoenix? There was a red one there a few years ago I knew of that was sold.

He moved to North Carolina, so he had his mom and brother sell it.

That car was in Goodyear sitting behind my nephew's house. I heard from a diehard Mopar buddy in phoenix that this car was the car Plymouth with the Commando engine used to make the brochures put out by Plymouth that year..I have a brochure with a red Valiant in it, and I heard it went to Arizona. You might check into that.

I got a 66 commando carb that may work...The fitment may have to do with the base bolt pattern. IIRC, the early ones had a narrow pattern and some AFB's had the dual pattern.

More pics? Is it a 2 or 4dr? What state are you in? A fellow member (azmopar) has a 67 Valiant Signet 2dr commando car with a 4spd and it's a pilot car making it a 1 of 1.

If you use a Edelbrock you will need a different air cleaner base too. I just bought a cheap aftermarket air cleaner and used the base. You will also need the kickdown linkage adapter if you have a automatic trans.

Rebuildable AFB might be the best route. Surely the simplest. Good luck

New update...Got an edlebrock, no baseplate needed, kickdown linkage is adjustable.as is throttle cable...The engineers of old thought of everything, including those who want different carbs. I shall post pics of how it was done...

Already had another air cleaner in trunk to fit, as well as a set of hooker headers. Not sure if I'm going to put those on or not.

1489800311012118759739.jpg

14898003366131986949027.jpg

IMG_20170317_182523193_HDR.jpg

I called a few carb rebuild shops, quoted me at least 2 weeks for rebuild and 420$. Got the edlebrock for 100 less. I appreciate all the help and advice from y'all. Next step...Acid wash the fuel tank. Clogs filter after 30 min. Of freeway, or an HR of city driving. I live in San Diego, CA

-
Back