Aftermarket floor shifter for 727

-

flyamx

Reaction score
OK full disclosure, I'm an AMC guy. Just happens that my '68 AMX has a Chrysler 8.75 489 sure grip 3.91 rear that I broke last year drag racing. Found a replacement 489 chunk on this forum a few weeks ago and installed a few hours ago. Everything was going well until it came time to hook up the driveshaft. My old 489 chunk has a 7260 Yoke with U-bolts. The new one has a 7260 Yoke with straps. The straps don't tighten near enough, u-joints will fall right out. U-joints are Spicer P051. I measured the U-joint cap and got 1-1/16".

So can anyone please tell me:

Is there a different U-joint size I now need for straps?

Also, why doesn't the yoke -w- straps have a lip on the end to hold the u-joint in place like the yoke with U-Bolts?

How can you tell if the driveshaft placement is correct without those yoke lips ensuring proper placement?

Finally I did find the following girdle @ Summit that is spec'd for a 1-1/16 U-joint. Wondering if this would solve my problem quickly?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85850/overview/

Thanks, appreciate it.

What are you guys running for aftermarket floor shifters? I need one and want to stay away from the B&M shifters! I would just like opinions of what you guys like and use. Thanks

Cheetah!

I just got one from Scott on here, as soon as the other parts show up (today) it will be going in, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

yep! another vote for the cheetah. very good shifter. I enjoyed mine when I had it installed!

Again, I know it's not a Mopar, but incase anyone is interested.(at least it ain't a Chevy).....

Attachments

• AMX Side & Stripes.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 457
Not to hijack this post but, which one for a 46RE trans. The Hurst that's in the truck sucks big time..

Thanks

Is there two threads on this, or did something get deleted?

OK, I either have a cheetah or one very similar. My brother had it in his drag car. My question is can you buy a switch to put in it so that when you put it in reverse the backup lights turn on? I'll post a pick of the one I got soon

gotta agree. its an awesome shifter. smooth operating, cable goes around the rear of the trans so the cable is away from all the hot spots.

Have a quarter stick, but wish it was rear cable like the cheetah... HUGE PLUS! I hear the new ones are, but don't know for sure...

JOE

Hurst quarter stick, nicely made and feels solid....and i like the mopar/hurst heritage (routing that cable away from headers is annoying though)

OK, I either have a cheetah or one very similar. My brother had it in his drag car. My question is can you buy a switch to put in it so that when you put it in reverse the backup lights turn on? I'll post a pick of the one I got soon

reverse light run off the trans not shifter if the car in your avatar is what we are talking about. the neutral safety switch also triggers the reverse lights.

when i originally installed mine i wanted it a little higher for the bench seat. so this is what i did and it worked out great. i liked the position of it after the bench seat went in also.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Thanks for the pics and help Abodyjoe! So question on your install. I'm assuming you still installed the cover on the shifter. If so, what did you use to fill the gap to the floor? I also have a bench seat and was trying to figure out how to get it a little higher.

-
Back