Aftermarket shifter with A-body console

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Anybody ever try to install a aftermarket ratchet shifter in one of our A-body consoles? Like one of the B&M or Hurst shifters. I'd like to have a ratchet shifter and tried the conversion plate deal for my stock shifter to make it a ratchet type but don't really care for it. After trying a buddies B&M Star shifter I like it much better. The only thing is it looked pretty iffy as to wether or not it would fit in a stock console.

Yea, I installed the B+M Quicksilver on my 71 Demon and the console fits fine around it. I even screwed on the B+M T bar instead of the plastic knob. Just keep the cable away from the headers on its way to the tranny.

Good deal!! Thanks Demon. Just looking at it I wasn't sure if it would fit in there. Didn't want to buy one and find out the hard way I couldn't make it fit.

Saw this in Carlisle in a Cuda. A-body wouldn't be much different. Take out the selector bezel and the ashtray and connect the dots leaving a shifter cover sized opening in the console. Get some door edge u-trim and finish off the rectangle opening for a clean look.

100_0811 small.JPG

Wow! Now that's radical. I don't want to cut up my console though. That's the main idea. To keep the console intact. If he would've trimmed it out it wouldn't look too bad. Just a racy look.

I used the Hurst Pro-Matic in my Swinger, no cutting and it fit really well. You have room to move it back and forth under the console to center it. You may have to flatten out the tranny hump just a touch underneath to make it fit real nice and modify the indicator lamp housing somewhat. Not real hard to do. I had installed the Hurst T-Handle and it worked quite well.

-
Back