age old question...

-

moper

Reaction score
So the age old question has been answered. "Can an engine survive in certain circumstances without oil flow to (2) rods?"
I was taking apart a previously rebuilt 360 - it's going into my truck and I wanted to make sure things were ok. I traded for it so it was not an expensive part, and came as a short block with heads already off. The #3 main was in backawards - the oil feed from the lifter galley was completely blocked because the top shell with the oil feed hole and groove was install in the cap, and the bottom shell was installed in the block. So there was no oil going from the #3 main to the #3 & #6 rods. This engine had some miles following the rebuild - it was covered with oily grime and dirt from being in a running truck. It was apparently assembled dirty and the bearings and crank are a little scored as a result - enough that it's getting turned again - but the two rod bearings didn't show signs of overheating and haven't lost crush...lol.

No damn needed. Those rods got oil from the adjacent mains, and the number 3 main also gets (a tiny amount) oil from the shared rod set (and splash). I'm betting the side clearances on the rods was minimal, aiding cross-feed.

2qx9q86.jpg

Side clearance was .015-.022 depending on the pair. I didn't check oil clearances because the journals are pretty scored so it's getting turned or replaced anyway. Rods do not get pressurized oil from any other source so what they had was splash. Honestly - I'm amazed. Only thing I can think of was it was in a truck like mine has been the past couple years: weekends only, short trips, and no rpms above 3K. My truck has wrist pin and a little lower end noise that it's had for 6-7 years now. So they can live that way for a while but I never thought zero oil was going to make it.

Evidently it didn't rev much. lol

-
Back