air compressor plumbing

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to redo the air compressor plumbing in my shop with RapidAir Maxline 1/2" kit. I have a Dewalt 30 gallon compressor and am currently using a harbor freight filter/regulator that has the 1/4" outlet. RapidAir recommends their 1/2" regulator for their 1/2" line. I connect from the air compressor to the regulator via the quick connect coupler on the compressor since my air compressor is on wheels I do occasionally move it for outside/house projects. I was thinking about upgrading from my current regulator to the 1/2" regulator but since the connection to the air compressor is via the quick connect coupler would it really make any difference?

A 1/2" regulator that is probably rated for somewhere around 70 cfm seems overkill for a compressor that is likely around 10 cfm. Even a 3/8" regulator will be rated for around 60 cfm.

Let us know how it goes. I'm in the process of moving my compressor but, I haven't purchased the piping. I looking at the RapidAir.

Let us know how it goes. I'm in the process of moving my compressor but, I haven't purchased the piping. I looking at the RapidAir.
I had some time this past weekend to start the plumbing process. I got the filter and regulator along with my air hose reel hooked up. I still have to run the lines to the other side of the garage but I need to wait until warmer weather so I can move some stuff out of the way so I'm not climbing over stuff in the process.

I never really sat down a drew out a plan on how to run the lines or where to put the outlets, etc. I just asked for a "kit" for Christmas so once I got one that's when I sat down and figured out my layout. I got the M3800 kit so I have 3 outlet ports. The kits are very nice, but don't necessarily include everything you need, just depends on which kit you purchase. I ended up buying new a filter and regulator to replace my old one. With any plumbing job you will probably need some fittings mainly to go from Air compressor to the rapidair system and from the system to a hose reel, just depends on how you want to connect everything. The line is fairly easy to bend and holds it's shape. I only did a few short runs so I just straightened it by hand on a table top but they do make a straightener. My brother in law has one and I will be borrowing it for when I complete the job as I have some long runs to do. Plan your layout before purchasing and make sure the kit you get has all the main parts you need because if you have to purchase any extra outlet kits, or fittings, they add up real quick. Clamps weren't included in my kit, so I have to get some of them for my longer runs. Overall it's a very nice stuff and I'm happy with it.

If you want to get the most out of your system, you should seriously consider changing your line and tool couplers and plugs over to Milton V-style fittings. They're the highest-flowing couplers Milton sells, including the much-larger P, G, and H-style parts. I don't have the xact figures in front of me but the V-style flows in the 70CFM range, which is nearly twice what their next-highest coupler style will move.
I made the upgrade years ago, then recommended it to my skeptical boss when I was at a diesel shop. I told him to just do one hose and one impact. If he wasn't impressed I'd buy the parts from him. He ended upgrading the whole shop. A few othes to whom I've recommended them have done the same, remarking on the difference in performance from impacts, air ratchets, die grinders, etc.
If you have a smallish tank, you'll also notice the compressor running more. The tank can empty through the hose more quickly. If you're currently using A-, M-, or T-style fittings, the plugs will work with the V-style couplers (without the benefits) until the budget allows all your tools to be swapped.

No, I don't work for Milton. But, other than changing from a 30-gallon 4HP to an 80-gallon 7HP, those fittings were the single-greatest air upgrade I've made. It seemed worth mentioning since you're upgrading your system.

I would NOT feed the general shop plumbing FROM a regulator. Either put the regulator where you need it, or supply it with quick connects so you can jack it in where you want it for specific tools. Most tools do not need a regulator, impacts, etc, and even air grinders/ sanders which you want to "tone down" a bit can do will with a simple control valve inline near the tool

Really, most important tools needing a regulator is stuff like a paint gun.

I would NOT feed the general shop plumbing FROM a regulator. Either put the regulator where you need it, or supply it with quick connects so you can jack it in where you want it for specific tools. Most tools do not need a regulator, impacts, etc, and even air grinders/ sanders which you want to "tone down" a bit can do will with a simple control valve inline near the tool

Really, most important tools needing a regulator is stuff like a paint gun.
Before I only had my compressor going to my hose reel with the regulator prior to that. Now I have one main line going to my hose reel which is used in my shop so sometimes I need to change the PSI depending on what I"m doing. My other main line is going out to the "storage" area and will pretty much only be used to put air in tires so I'm not regulating that side.

I have standard Milton M style fittings at work, but P style at home because I got tired of having to swap fittings whenever I brought a tool home from a past job or back to work from home. The p series was what a past job had.
I'm back to swapping fittings every time I bring a tool home or back. Work has M style. I ain't switching my home stuff back to M's.
I learned the value of the higher flow fittings back when I worked a 2nd job at Sears. I had to bring my gun from my day job to sears with me one night because the impact that I had at sears had gone down, and it was off to the snap on guy for rebuild.
I put my "sears fitting" in my impact and couldn't believe how gutless it was, knowing what I'd done with that same gun at my day job just a few hours earlier. They both ran the same line pressure at both shops. But the volume makes a huge difference. I can stick the end (outside diam) of an M style fitting in the end of a P style coupler.

I have standard Milton M style fittings at work, but P style at home because I got tired of having to swap fittings whenever I brought a tool home from a past job or back to work from home. The p series was what a past job had...
They both ran the same line pressure at both shops. But the volume makes a huge difference. I can stick the end (outside diam) of an M style fitting in the end of a P style coupler.
The V-style actually outflows even the massive P-style coupler by ~6CFM--not enough to warrant you changing all your stuff, for sure. But you've definitely seen the difference between, say, A- or M-style and much-better flowing fittings so I appreciate you chiming in on how much the increased airflow helps.

I don't think that I've seen a v style before.
But depends on source compressor and how many CFM it is capable of putting out at a given pressure, that 6CFM difference may be moot.
It doesn't hurt a bit to go oversized on piping, regulators, fittings etc.... Up til where the bigger fittings become clumsy to use .... A lot of times you can't get the tools rated CFM to reach the tool with dinky fittings. Which is why you have to crank up the pressure to (somewhat) compensate for too-low flow
Those 1/4" coily hoses may be convenient but for flow they are the worst

To go oversized in piping in the shop is fine, then reduce it down at each point of usage as needed.

To go oversized in piping in the shop is fine, then reduce it down at each point of usage as needed.
Bigger pipes are an extension of your tank size. Years ago, a friend installed 3" circumference piping in his pole building with 1" drops. I don't remember the exact number, but it added more than 10 gallons to his air capacity. The downside was that it took the compressor longer to build pressure to its shutoff point. I looked into doing something similar, but the I felt the cost involved was past the "diminishing returns" standpoint. I went with the bigger compressor instead.

-
Back