Air filter recommendation

-

74Scamp

Reaction score
Hey guys what do you run for an air filter? I have a Holley 4160 carb I’ll be running for now on a edelbrock performer intake on my 360. I’ve been looking at the K&N filters that don’t need a lid as the filter material is on the top of element not just the sides, p/n 66-3040. Anyone run one and have pros/cons? If not I was gonna run a regular K&N 14x3 filter and a drop lid underneath. Where would be the best place to get a carb lid from? I don’t have one or even a factory air cleaner either.
I’m not too worried about fitting under the stock hood as I’ll be running a cowl hood down the road and will probably leave the stock one off anyways.

IMO there is not much difference between paper K&N but lots of hype in advertising. I would use any
element and use a housing ducted for outside cool air. Open element just suck in
under hood heated air reducing power.

For what its worth, dyno testing showed the filter with the element on top to be one of the best performers. Engine masters on youtube. I cant find that particular episode at the moment.
It was interesting, they tested various factory mopar air cleaners and aftermarket ones. The one with the closed top filter instead of a lid was in the top performers.

A standard WIX paper filter replace at the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

For what its worth, dyno testing showed the filter with the element on top to be one of the best performers. Engine masters on youtube. I cant find that particular episode at the moment.
It was interesting, they tested various factory mopar air cleaners and aftermarket ones. The one with the closed top filter instead of a lid was in the top performers.

The element on top is the one I was referring to right?

K&Ns require tedious, scheduled cleanings. If you don't clean them, then they are no better than any other filter.
Paper elements work great, and over the life of the engine will probably not cost you much more , and in the meantime, you will always have a clean filter.

K&N and all the others like them are a bunch of magazine and TV show horse crap marketing to get in your wallet. If an air filter advertises to flow more air, it flows more dirt too. That's not opinion, either, it's fact that can be verified all over the net. Whenever I see one of those big time air filters on some of these cars at shows, I just smile.

The filters of equal size, paper vs. a K&N, the paper will out flow it when new. The draw of the K&N is constant steady flow on a reusable filter element. If you can use a slightly taller filter for more filtration area, go for it.

On the filter you describe, a 14x3 w/a filtered lid I have run for years and find it good.

Get rid of the drop base if you don’t need it. Get a flat bottom that has a slightly higher base than the carbs opening. Most factory air cleaners have a base like this with a good shape into the carb.

Seal the carb to the hood to reduce heat and or all under hood debris like burning oil from small leaks, rocks from the road, etc...

IMG_0474 (1).JPG
Hey guys what do you run for an air filter? I have a Holley 4160 carb I’ll be running for now on a edelbrock performer intake on my 360. I’ve been looking at the K&N filters that don’t need a lid as the filter material is on the top of element not just the sides, p/n 66-3040. Anyone run one and have pros/cons? If not I was gonna run a regular K&N 14x3 filter and a drop lid underneath. Where would be the best place to get a carb lid from? I don’t have one or even a factory air cleaner either.
I’m not too worried about fitting under the stock hood as I’ll be running a cowl hood down the road and will probably leave the stock one off anyways.

I have an extra filter top Im not using. If u want one--------
A very knowledgable , used to be , somewhat big time dragracer I know, ran a stocker and held the record 18 diff times, his car would go quicker with the stock bottom "dropped" type air cleaner base , with nothing above it . Well proven for many many years. He couldn`t run a scoop in stock class , it seemed the under hood air would flow up and over the curve of the base rolling into the small stock carb. ------fact !
Rig up a hood seal for better results- my throttle body is up in the 6 pack scoop , it can be done . I`ve got a few configurations laying around I`ve tried over the years.

Last edited:
The testing does indicate they (K&N type) let through more of the fine particals.
They have an advantage over paper if you expect the filter to get wet stuff thrown at it. Oil, coolant, mud, etc.
Size for size, it seems they generally are less restrictive. Something that may be important when running in a restricted class where every advantage is worked for its potential.

The filter tops can be a problem with most carburetors because:
- they change the direction of air flow over the bowl vents
- can cause unpredictable flow currents in the entry
I'm not saying never use them, but in general better off with a big round filter (like 14 x 3) and a well shaped base and lid.

The filter tops can be a problem with most down draft carburetors because:
- they change the direction of air flow over the bowl vents
- can cause unpredictable flow currents in the entry
I'm not saying never use them, but in general better off with a big round filter (like 14 x 3) and a well shaped base and lid.
I disagree. I had no issues what so ever in there usage.
Now rejetting the carb might be needed.
Flowing air straight down through the carb is what should be happening.

You might have had OK result and I did not but the general issue is Holley's assume the bowl will be at atmospheric.
Not saying it can't be worked around, I'm sure it can. And I'm sure there are instances where the Xtreme top is an advantage.
Connecting the vents with tube that has side and bottom holes is done a lot anyway, and would help prevent the velocity impact from pressurizing the bowls.

With a short filter hieght and drop base, its probably the worst case. That's what I was trying to address and eventualy went to a well shaped spun aluminum lid.

Good discussion over at speedtalk.
Engine Masters' Air Filter Test - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

You might have had OK result and I did not but the general issue is Holley's assume the bowl will be at atmospheric.
Not saying it can't be worked around, I'm sure it can. And I'm sure there are instances where the Xtreme top is an advantage.
Connecting the vents with tube that has side and bottom holes is done a lot anyway, and would help prevent the velocity impacting the bowls.

With a short filter hieght and drop base, its probably the worst case. That's what I was trying to address and eventualy went to a well shaped spun aluminum lid.

Good discussion over at speedtalk.
Engine Masters' Air Filter Test - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

What works on one , may not be the hot ticket for another, remember the Bowman boundary layer hood scoops / The carbs had to be 12" below the hood seal for it to work at maximum ----------

Grab the air where ever you can and force it in after the 660. You can feel it in the seat of your pants. Like fresh air Boost

spoiler pics 661.jpg

DSCN1683.jpg

Two of the 3 race cars run this one .....
14" x 3" Washable Element Extreme Top w/Black Ring Dropped Base Air Cleaner Kit | eBay

yeah it is made in China.....back to back testing at Famoso Race way.....71 Duster ran 10.65 with no air cleaner...and 10.66 with one of these air cleaner....we are using 6 pac hood scoop and they are not sealed....you can buy them with a standard top also...
I never got to looking at eBay for filters. Thanks for the link I may just get one of those.

Anyone have a particular filter base I should use then? Or will any decent flat base work good that’ll fit my setup?

Anyone have a particular filter base I should use then? Or will any decent flat base work good that’ll fit my setup?

I`ve got 2 or 3 diff bases , tried a lot of stuff in the last 3 yrs. Still playing w/ filter options ------r/b w/ victor intake , throttle body s in the scoop.

-
Back