Alignment issue

-

holyhandgrenade

Reaction score
Well this is my first post here and unfortunately its about a problem. My front passenger side wheel's allignment is pretty bad (the other wheel's are also in need of work, however they are nowhere near as bad). I took it in to have it aligned, but the tech said it couldnt be aligned (he improved it a little, but its far from perfect) due to the eccentric being shot. He said the parts would only be about $30, but the installation would be quite expensive. I dont have much experience working on suspensions, but after looking at the upper control arm, I couldnt figure out what would be so difficult about doing it, and therefore why I couldnt do it myself. Im fairly mechanically inclined.

I was just wondering if replacing the eccentirics is something I could do in an afternoon with basic hand tools, or if I should just bite the bullet and pay to have the work done?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as a place to pick up the necessary parts if the work isnt way above my head.
Thanks

I just replaced all four of mine in less than two hours. Of course if your bolts are rusted and crusted it may take longer......unless you break out the fire. Not real hard, just jack up the front end and take off the nut and push it out till you can grab the eccentric and finish pulling out with that. I would do each bolt separately because the other bolt will pretty much hold the placement of the control arm.

I picked mine up at NAPA, if you need the part number I can get it and post it for you.

Pretty easy actually like Dartman said. Dont forget to take a pic or mark the positions of the eccentrics, that way you'll be close putting it back together.
IMO, I'd inspect the upper control arm bushings as they are more likely the culprit. They are also available thru Napa.

:coffee2: Eric

It is fairly easy as 63+ eric says, u can also get offset moog bushings to help with caster+camber............u may want to have a good look where ur lower control arms bolt thru the K frame as they wear out there fairly often, best fix there is another K..............Kim.........

Thanks for all the quick responses. It sounds like it will be about what I was thinking then. My only concern is with the bushings, do they need to be pressed in and out? And if so, is there a way to do this without either taking it somewhere and having it done, or having a press myself? as I dont have press, and would prefer to do it all myself if possible.

Other than that I think I can do it, I would really appreciate the part numbers if anyone has them handy tho.

-
Back