Alignments...

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
What do you guys think of an alignment shop on wheels, where the guy comes to your house and does the alignment on his trailer? I've talked to him on the phone, and he did my buddy's race car, and my buddy was pleased. The majority of his work is auto body shops, where the shop calls him to go there to do the alignment on the vehicles at the body shop. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about and is familiar with classic cars.

Also, I talked to an alignment shop in my hometown, and he says he is also familiar with the mopar torsion bar suspension, and does classic cars every now and then...But of course, most of the his customers is modern day stuff...So, who do you guys suggest? Shop on wheels alignment where they guy goes to my house, or tow my car to the shop to get it done?

well all the torsion bars do is adjust front end height. just set front end height to where u want it and have it aligned. if he has the equipment and dosn't charge much go for it!

personally if u live near a firestone u can buy a lifetime alignment for about 160 and you can take the car in everyday and its free...

just a thought!

well all the torsion bars do is adjust front end height. just set front end height to where u want it and have it aligned. if he has the equipment and dosn't charge much go for it!

personally if u live near a firestone u can buy a lifetime alignment for about 160 and you can take the car in everyday and its free...

just a thought!

Hey thanks. I know about the ride height is in the torsion bars, I was just using it as a generalization. "mopar torsion bar system" lol....But, I'll look for a firestone and see what they say, if there even is one in my area. :)

If you're going to check with a box store ask for their top alignment guy. Some of the shops I've worked for we shared alignment duty, but other shops we had the alignment tech, and that's all he did. Personally, that's the kind of shop I preferred, simply because it's that guy who knows the equipment in and out who can compensate for sticking plates, a wrack which is slightly out of level, etc. (been there, done that.) This is especially important for the older systems which used strings to tie the heads together or the older laser systems. A guy who can compensate for the slight irregularities is someone who knows his stuff. Ask to talk to that guy.

If you're looking at customizing the specs on the alignment, like throwing in a a little extra camber, just be aware that some of the box stores aren't willing to do this as it means increased tire wear and they like to keep things within factory specs so a customer doesn't come back b****ing that the tires are worn. So ask some questions.

If you take it to a shop ask for print outs of before and after. Look at the prints to make sure both sides are in where you want them. Some guys will get it to the green and lock it down, even if the measurements aren't the same side to side. Some of the box stores don't allow the customers to be in the service area. Ask about that, too.

If you're going to customize your specs ask them if they mind if it takes a while. Test drive it, get a feel for it. If it's not where you want it, then do it again. It might take a while and you might have to pay more, but make sure they know what you want right off the bat and have an understanding that you're not a pain in the *** customer, but a good one, who knows what he wants and is willing to communicate it. If they think you're a pain in the ***, then beware of what you get! So it's important to have good communication right up front with your desires.

either guy will be fine as long as they know and understand alignments. not just a guy that turns the adjustments till the light on the machine turns green. the fact is the original alignment specs suck for these cars when running mordern tires and all.

send it my way i will align it for you lol. we have a dyno on wheels around here. like to see a pic of the rack on wheels

by the time it,s gets here summer might be over

259.jpg

well thank you guys for the insight.

Joe, I know that factory specs are invalid. I rebuilt my suspension so the alignment guy will be starting from scratch. I know what specs I need... (3-5 deg. positive caster, 1/2 deg negative camber, and 1/8" toe in.) that's what I'll be shooting for...

Good idea on asking for the printouts, I'll make sure everything is the same on both sides...The shop on wheels guy sounded like he was willing to work with me, so was the other shop I went to, both of them sounded pretty confident in what they were doing...

I'll let you guys know how everything turns out. Thanks again :)

Take your specs in to a guy that knows to look for those numbers, not just it "being in the green". Mopardude, your asking for a "performance alignment". I wonder if the mobile guy does the 4 wheel alignment so you can make sure that the front/rear are aligned correctly. My guys use the hunter laser alignment rack with the targets that mount to the wheels. Never had a problem yet.

well thank you guys for the insight.

Joe, I know that factory specs are invalid. I rebuilt my suspension so the alignment guy will be starting from scratch. I know what specs I need... (3-5 deg. positive caster, 1/2 deg negative camber, and 1/8" toe in.) that's what I'll be shooting for...

Good idea on asking for the printouts, I'll make sure everything is the same on both sides...The shop on wheels guy sounded like he was willing to work with me, so was the other shop I went to, both of them sounded pretty confident in what they were doing...

I'll let you guys know how everything turns out. Thanks again :)

here is what djv ended up with in his 66 cuda.

alignment.jpg

How does the rack n wheels guy get it all level? is it like a trailer or something? Cause if it isn't level.. it isn't right.

How does the rack n wheels guy get it all level? is it like a trailer or something? Cause if it isn't level.. it isn't right.

i was wondering the same thing. must have some kinda jacks under it to level the machine i would assume.

Well, I'll get some pics for you guys if I decide to use the "on wheels" guy. lol. Maybe tomorrow...??? I hope...

you can get more positive or negative camber by adjusting the torsion bars. I just got my dart aligned at work and actually had to lower my front suspension a inch lower to gain the correct camber adjustment. The ride height is still good and the car rides perfect with my newly rebuilt and upgraded suspension. And the column works perfect mopardude thanks again. hope this info helps out some.

you can get more positive or negative camber by adjusting the torsion bars. I just got my dart aligned at work and actually had to lower my front suspension a inch lower to gain the correct camber adjustment. The ride height is still good and the car rides perfect with my newly rebuilt and upgraded suspension. And the column works perfect mopardude thanks again. hope this info helps out some.

you lowered it for MORE or LESS camber?

How much camber did you need? I thought all we need for our mopars is a 1/2 degree negative camber for a performance alignment...

Well I got the alignment today. Here are some specs. The guy was really cool by the way...

534477.jpg

iqlcuw.jpg

e82zq0.jpg

ml400m.jpg

2ex1w9j.jpg

s170uq.jpg

mubrb7.jpg

25zthdt.jpg

And here are my final alignment specs...

1ih1m0.jpg

That's pretty kool, didn't even know those existed. Wonder if they have any of them in AZ.

Your #'s came out good. He did good on factoring in right side caster for road crown. THe difference is between the 2 is right about where it should be. 4* pos caster is gonna feel great at high speeds....

-
Back