ALL 1971 A51 DUSTER TWISTER OWNERS, need help with stripe decoding!!!

-

V24x2

Reaction score
Ok, so here it goes! I have 2 A51 DUSTER TWISTERS, and neither have the V6* Stripe option on the tag.....is this because they were definitely on the car because they were part of the Twister package??? Both cars have the V8?* Stripe options on the data tag, so both cars came with the rear stripes, ok, that I understand. NOW FOR THE TWIST......my EV2 car has the V8X rear stripes, and then has the V9X stripe code after that, which decodes as the Longitudinal Black tape stripe where my other car does not have any V6* or V9* stripe codes....any help would be appreciated!!!
-ps....both Hamtramck built cars as well....

Photos of the tags so we can see what you see may help here.

Here ya go!

View attachment 1715483929

20200308_184150.jpg

tag.jpg

Twisters were manufactured in all sorts of various tape and color packages. Some had the Organosol painted and striped hoods, some (like mine) had body colored hoods with black scoops. Even though it was a “sport dress package”, there apparently was some variety allowed in the twister option.

Twisters were manufactured in all sorts of various tape and color packages. Some had the Organosol painted and striped hoods, some (like mine) had body colored hoods with black scoops. Even though it was a “sport dress package”, there apparently was some variety allowed in the twister option.
Okay, so let me ask.....does your data tag have the V9X stripe option on it? I believe the V9* stripe is for the twisters only, with the duster cloud in the stripe. Now , since my TX9 car doesn't have the V9W, does this mean it was a stripe delete? If so.....does it still get the TWISTER lettered sticker on the rear quarters?? I'm kinda stumped on this!

I think you may be right about the VX9 stripes being a twister only deal. For comparison I'll show you what I've came up with on MyMopar decoder. Everything matches except A51 went from Sport Fury to Duster Twister in 1971.
VL29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

G1B: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
L1X9: Trim - Low, Unknown, Black
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
407: Build Date: April 07
EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
U: USA Specifications
A51: 70 only Sport Fury S-23
G36: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
J54: Sport Hood
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
V9X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
EN2: End of Sales Codes

Last edited:
I think you may be right about the VX9 stripes being a twister only deal. For comparison I'll show you what I've came up with on MyMopar decoder. Everything matches except A51 went from Sport Fury to Duster Twister in 1971.
VL29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

G1B: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

354891: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
L1X9: Trim - Low, Unknown, Black
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
407: Build Date: April 07

EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
U: USA Specifications
A51: 70 only Sport Fury S-23
G36: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
J54: Sport Hood
M21: Roof drip rail moldings

R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
V9X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
EN2: End of Sales Codes
Thankyou for that info. My 340 cars all have the V6X stripes on the side, my EV2 twister has the V9X but nothing on the black car. Kinda cool I guess! But, if theres no stripe......does it get a twister decal still?? Hmmmm??

Twister was supposed to have the V6 stripe as part of the A51 package. Same as the 340 cars.

The V9 stripe would be something along the body line of the car in most cases.

As for the twister stickers: The go wing, cheese grater grill, and twister stickers are constants in the twister package. I’ve never seen a TX9 A51 but that’s probably the reason why the twister stickers had a white outline. There were quite a few TX9 cars that did have full tape stripe packages, though.

Yup, Tx9, but that’s your upper door color, gloss black. What’s he’s talking about is a TX9 Black Twister, the exterior paint color. It may be the only one out there! Nice color tho, EV2!
Ooohhhh there is one fore sale currently on fb

Another discovery as of late is I've discovered that the original twister stickers didn't have a white outline (well, not th ones I seen anyway) There where some TX9 triple black cars produced with black stripes and (there was a 70 340 Duster on eBay so equipped). I think it would have the black twister stickers still if it were a stripe delete car. I'll have to look again, those may be listed on the build sheet but I think the fender tag code for them may be the L1X9.

St Louis MO
Hey whadaya know!!!! That’s the car I sold ALMOST 2 weeks ago, now with stripes! Sent it off in the original rally wheels and he slapped the stripes on, doubled the price and listed it! Hmmmm......???

Hey whadaya know!!!! That’s the car I sold ALMOST 2 weeks ago, now with stripes! Sent it off in the original rally wheels and he slapped the stripes on, doubled the price and listed it! Hmmmm......???
Did it have that pretty rusted frame underneath?

I read a thread awhile ago but still have no answer don’t know if you guys have one but any production numbers on twister models?

-
Back