All for .370 lift and under ........

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Today my 318 heads were dropped off at the machine shop. Trying for more gas mileage and performance (even the smallest of gains). Basically, I just removed what I thought would cause turbulence, looking to keep velocity and flow around .200 lift. I told the shop what I was doing, my thoughts, and what I wanted them to do to try to accomplish this. First time in my life I've done this with an stock 318 2bbl engine. Usually, a guy is adding at least a 4bbl. We'll know soon enough in the upcoming weeks. Vehicle is our '77 B100 Shorty Van.

I've been watching your videos for a while now. My inclination is that you'll see an improvement in mileage under normal driving conditions. I liked your head porting videos so much I'm going to give it a try! 65'

.370 lift? That would be tiny even for a stone stock 2 barrel.

Yeah, I stumbled across your videos on youtube as well. Good stuff !
What is the cam in the van now? Stocker?

Rob, i think he's talking flow vs cam lift.

Pontiac used a 30 degree seat to get low lift flow as even their Ram Air III cams had only .420ish lift. How that works on the SBM, idk?

I've been watching your videos for a while now. My inclination is that you'll see an improvement in mileage under normal driving conditions. I liked your head porting videos so much I'm going to give it a try! 65'
I say "go for it" !! Thanks for watching!

Rob, i think he's talking flow vs cam lift.

Pontiac used a 30 degree seat to get low lift flow as even their Ram Air III cams had only .420ish lift. How that works on the SBM, idk?
That's what we are going to try to get - low lift flow. However, no bench flow so this is a true "how I see it, hope it works" project ! LOL. We like surprises anyways, right ? !!!

Yes, as mentioned, 30* intake seat. Exactly what you need for your project. D.Vizard has written extensively about the benefits, including in his SBC book. I know somebody who bought Pontiac Edel heads & converted them to 30* & flow increased up to 0.550" lift.

This should get tens of tens of views...
Screenshot_20220701-231811.png

LOL...:D..

I had a gm that keep getting better milage in a heavy truck 305 cu in it with a over drive trans up near 30 miles per gallon about 6 months later I found out why it got so much better / it started popping thru the carb at light throttle yes the cam was wiped every lobe was rounded off evenly like it was made that way so go low lift and you will be there. find some 1.4 rockers

there was a total mileage thread by Hot Rod Dave years ago and he changed / tested many components over the 18 month project ending up around 30 mpg in his 318.
I believe his best mileage came with a specific 273 2 bbl. cam with reasonably high lift but short duration producing high torque at cruise rpm.
Thread was " Hot Rod Dave's 318 Super Duper Mileage Master" .... or something like that.

there was a total mileage thread by Hot Rod Dave years ago and he changed / tested many components over the 18 month project ending up around 30 mpg in his 318.
I believe his best mileage came with a specific 273 2 bbl. cam with reasonably high lift but short duration producing high torque at cruise rpm.
Thread was " Hot Rod Dave's 318 Super Duper Mileage Master" .... or something like that.
Wasn't there a guy on you-boob that ran a lawnmower carburetor and got crazy mileage?...

I had a gm that keep getting better milage in a heavy truck 305 cu in it with a over drive trans up near 30 miles per gallon about 6 months later I found out why it got so much better / it started popping thru the carb at light throttle yes the cam was wiped every lobe was rounded off evenly like it was made that way so go low lift and you will be there. find some 1.4 rockers
MPG is very important, especially if you've been to the gas station lately... Ha! However, we want it to perform (as in have more zip) a little better as well.

I'll be watching this thread...
I love the fact that you are using a 2 bbl carb, my personal opinion is that they are highly under rated for just a cruiser.
Everything it seems to revolve around big head flow numbers, a big cam, headers, high compression, and a big 4 barrel and intake with headers buzzed up to 8,000 rpm or you won't be happy.
True, if you used a 4 barrel with small primaries and didn't open it up to full throttle, you might get some mileage gains, but I like the 2 barrel BBD carbs.

The gears have a big factor as well.
My suggestion is 2:76s and a 28'' tire or thereabouts.
And lastly, gas mileage is primarily controlled by your right foot!
lol

MPG is very important, especially if you've been to the gas station lately... Ha! However, we want it to perform (as in have more zip) a little better as well.
I rode my e-bike to work the other day and it's funny to have people look over at you and look down at their speedometer and then look back over at you in wonderment.... :D...
Screenshot_20220604-225354.png

I'll be watching this thread...
I love the fact that you are using a 2 bbl carb, my personal opinion is that they are highly under rated for just a cruiser.
Everything it seems to revolve around big head flow numbers, a big cam, headers, high compression, and a big 4 barrel and intake with headers buzzed up to 8,000 rpm or you won't be happy.
True, if you used a 4 barrel with small primaries and didn't open it up to full throttle, you might get some mileage gains, but I like the 2 barrel BBD carbs.

The gears have a big factor as well.
My suggestion is 2:76s and a 28'' tire or thereabouts.
And lastly, gas mileage is primarily controlled by your right foot!
lol
"controlled by your right foot...." Exactly !!! We know our gains will be small, but the van is a keeper so we wanted to freshen up the heads anyways... besides, I don't want to lose too bad to the Hoosier Garage Van :D :D

I rode my e-bike to work the other day and it's funny to have people look over at you and look down at their speedometer and then look back over at you in wonderment.... :D...
View attachment 1715950610
yeah, my wife and I probably aren't going to travel state to state on that... lol Let alone try to figure out how to sleep in (or on) it :D

"controlled by your right foot...." Exactly !!! We know our gains will be small, but the van is a keeper so we wanted to freshen up the heads anyways... besides, I don't want to lose too bad to the Hoosier Garage Van :D :D
Ha Ha!
It's fun pissing off young people!
If you're an old man, you might as well drive like one in an old vehicle...
Works for me!

Ha Ha!
It's fun pissing off young people!
If you're an old man, you might as well drive like one in an old vehicle...
Works for me!
in todays world, as it was before it took off like an old man even if my son was driving it !!!!! The van has a lot of pedal and not much response !!! :D

-
Back