Almost ready to paint. 1970 Dodge dart

Mopar Body and Trim

1. Hambony58

Hambony58 Active Member

Local Time:
    7:00 AM
    I have a 1970 Dodge dart swinger that I want to get painted. More than one body person has suggested that I replace the hood and trunk in total. I am having no luck finding replacement parts for these items? Any feedback would be appreciated - also, Would it be worth having the rust removed by taking off the bracing and then re-welding/glueing The skin back on? Thanks in advance Hambony58

2. oldkimmer

oldkimmer FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:00 AM
    Put up a wanted ad. There is still lots of those parts out there. Kim

• Agree Agree x 2
    • MoparMike1974

MoparMike1974 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:00 AM
      I pulled the skin off my hood and made one good hood from two of them. It was really easy to do. The trunk may be more difficult because I think the skin is crimped on.

• plumkrazee70

plumkrazee70 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      9:00 AM
      You're in California, shouldn't have any trouble finding those parts. Post a want ad.

I wouldn't bother with re skinning. I bought my hood for my 70 for $75. O would just try to find good used parts.

• MoparMike1974

MoparMike1974 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      I reskinned my hood because it was the hood off my first car. Its the only surviving part of that car.

• Like Like x 1
      • Oldmanmopar

Oldmanmopar Going left turning right FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        Instead of re-skinning a nice hood or trunk. Place it upsidedown on padded horses. Pour it full of "Chassis saver". With help tilt it around to cover all areas under the frame. Then pour it out of the corner back into the can and do the same thing to the trunk lid. Once you treat them with chassis saver they will not rust through in your lifetime.
        POR15 is not as good as Chassis Saver I used them both. POR15 only sticks to rust. "Chassis Saver" sticks to everything. "Chassis Saver" is the new product by POR15 after they sold the patent for POR15. Once you open the can and humidity hits it Pot life is approximately 1 month. Also put Saran Wrap on the can before replacing the lid or you will never get it off again.

You can also use a wand on a shlutz gun and spray the underside of the frame. Warning do it outside it does get messy and wear junk cloths and skin protector. it does not wash off your skin. Takes one week to shed it.

• Gdub310

Gdub310 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        7:00 AM
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.