alternator issue

-

D.Coulter

67SuperFish
Reaction score
here's the issue I have been dealing with, I installed a new alternator on my small block 340. The Alternator is a single V pulley as well as the harmonic bal. and W/P. Now, with that being said the alternator sets back about 1/4 inch so the belt don't ride properly in the pulley. If I were using a double pulley it would line up perfect, and I know I have the right brackets...not real sure what the deal is. do I need a spacer as well... Any help would be great.

Lets see if I can explain this without confusing the whole planet . The single crank pulley is a rare creature . The offset of the single crank pulley is dependent upon the thickness of the balancer . This offset determines the alignment of the rest of the drive system . More common is a 2 pulley system ( the inner one drives the water pump and the outer one drives the power steering pump ). With this 2 pulley crank system the alternator from a motor with A/C will align perfectly and will align with the water pump , also . If your water pump aligns with your crank pulley you can have your alternator pulley unpressed the amount it takes to make your alignment perfect . Hope this helps, later.

................and also it's possible to wrongly assemble the bracket, causing the spacing to be incorrect..........

Lets see if I can explain this without confusing the whole planet . The single crank pulley is a rare creature . The offset of the single crank pulley is dependent upon the thickness of the balancer . This offset determines the alignment of the rest of the drive system . More common is a 2 pulley system ( the inner one drives the water pump and the outer one drives the power steering pump ). With this 2 pulley crank system the alternator from a motor with A/C will align perfectly and will align with the water pump , also . If your water pump aligns with your crank pulley you can have your alternator pulley unpressed the amount it takes to make your alignment perfect . Hope this helps, later.

You can't unpress the pulley to make it line up, the pulley helps holds the bearing in place witch holds the rotor of the alternator in place, if the rotor walks back an 1/8" it will hit the wires for the stator then you have more problems

Like said before PHOTOS are your best friend.

This is on my 273 but it has a stock single crank, WP and alt pulley and they all line up correctly. I don't get how if you have all single pulleys ASSUMING they are all the correct ones they don't line up correctly.

I vote for bracket and /or spacers are not in the correct location.

20180522_193335.jpg

Saw this at the show today
It's hard to see but the alternator is not parallel to the other pulleys

But they did mount the alt to the outside of the bracket.

20180804_114611.jpg
20180804_114604.jpg

Last edited:
I assume this is the situation you have with your single alternator pulley not lining up correctly
20180804_092949.jpg

IMHO

If this is your situation I would move the alternator to be outside the bracket and add a correct length spacer to the inside. Bend the adjusting bracket to fit and call it a day with a single pulley alt

Last edited:
-
Back