Alternator painting

-

67dodgedartconv

Reaction score
Had to replace my alternator with a rebuilt one. Before installing it can I paint the outside with some rattlecan clear to help keep it from oxidizing like the old one did? Would overspray in the exposed inside parts hurt anything? Looks like the exposed windings are already coated with something.

I took mine apart, it would make masking much easier, although I used color.
Their are several surfaces I would not want paint on.
Ya may luck out and have no problem, your call.

I've painted plenty of them. I always completely take off the pulley and just kind of block off that area where the wires can be exposed in the back. Then the obvious connections. Again like the last poster I never cleared it I always painted it a color with engine paint. Years ago I painted one that was cherry red and turned out really nice and the last one I had on the duster was black it's actually in my truck now.

I've painted plenty of them. I always completely take off the pulley and just kind of block off that area where the wires can be exposed in the back. Then the obvious connections. Again like the last poster I never cleared it I always painted it a color with engine paint. Years ago I painted one that was cherry red and turned out really nice and the last one I had on the duster was black it's actually in my truck now.
think I`d degrease it and paint it w/ a brush. Mine is red and black, bought it that way custom built .

The windings are coated with an insulated varnish. "Just what" depends on what wire was used to rebuild. It is possible that the solvents in whatever you use might dissolve that coating on the windings. Overspray on the slip rings would not be good.

I would disassemble the thing if you want to paint it. Not that difficult. Pull the brushes, pull the bolts, gently pry apart. You'll need a puller to remove the pulley, and will need to unsolder the diodes from the stator windings. You could mask the diode wiring / terminals from there

The windings are coated with an insulated varnish. "Just what" depends on what wire was used to rebuild. It is possible that the solvents in whatever you use might dissolve that coating on the windings. Overspray on the slip rings would not be good.

I would disassemble the thing if you want to paint it. Not that difficult. Pull the brushes, pull the bolts, gently pry apart. You'll need a puller to remove the pulley, and will need to unsolder the diodes from the stator windings. You could mask the diode wiring / terminals from there

I disassemble them completely, then wash and degrease the halves. It's the only way to remove all contaminants that will affect the quality of the paint/coating. The one on the left is baked on VHT enamel and the one on the right is powder coated.
DSCN0018 (800x600) (800x600).jpg

-
Back