Alternator pulley question

-

Mopar-Mitch

Reaction score
I just replaced the alternator brackets on a 340. I replaced the air conditioning brackets with non air brackets and pulleys, now my double pulley alternator don't line up. Do I need a single pulley? This is on a 1971 340 small block with the later water pump.

That doesn't make sense to me. I would think that is a bracket issue and not a pulley issue. That has nothing to do with the pulley, as a matter of fact I always order double groove pulleys even when I don't need one for the versatility.

Thanks, I've used them in the past wit no problem the brackets I orders must be made incorrect.

I just replaced the alternator brackets on a 340. I replaced the air conditioning brackets with non air brackets and pulleys, now my double pulley alternator don't line up. Do I need a single pulley? This is on a 1971 340 small block with the later water pump.

Yes, you need a single pulley alternator for the non-a/c set up...

A/C had double pulley...

If you mix and match, the belt will work, but be at a slight mis-alignment...

Yep, its working like it is, but belt is slightly misaligned I was wondering if the single pulley would put it right. Thanks.

After digging through my parts I found a single pulley alternator that lines up perfect with my new brackets, but the alternator on my car now is just like this picture I found on the internet. The one on the right is identical to the double pulley I have and the one on the left is just like the one I found. Housings look different but they are both square back 2 field alternators, will these Interchange ?

Screenshot_2018-10-07-14-35-02.png

Most likely. Over the years I have seen a handful of alternators ford and Mopar that were aftermarket and the casting were different but the critical dimensions were the same as OE. there might be an output difference if the pulley diameters are different or the internals are different. Look for part numbers and google to see if you can find anything out about them.

-
Back