Alternator

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Doing a magnum swap just curious what wires would go to the back of the magnum alternator..thinking of keeping the serpentine set up..or can I use older style alternator and just swap pulleys will it mount to magnum brackets..here is the pic..the two small post what wires go there the external regulator wires or..

20180405_214010.jpg

To keep the Magnum serpentine setup, use the Magnum timing cover (no mechanical fuel pump provision), Magnum alternator and bracket, and wire the Magnum alternator just like an old school electronic-regulated alternator. Your old ignition wire goes to one of the small terminals, the other small terminal goes to the controlling wire of the solid state electronic voltage regulator.
If the car has the old mechanical regulator, upgrage it to electronic for best results. I have not tried using the mechanical voltage regulator setup on a Magnum alternator, but in theory you could wire it that way, in which one small terminal is grounded and the other comes from the mechanical regulator.
As always, refer to appropriate wiring diagrams for your car, as I am going by memory here.

Its actually going in my 86 ram it has a electronic voltage regulator..what wires would go to it..the two small terminals..just the two wires from the voltage regulator..I'm sure the magnum alternator has a built in regulator

I was planning on keeping the serpentine setup on my own build and was curious as to what the two other bolt points on the bracket above the alternator were for. (below in your photo)

Found this illustration that showed what's what.

0900c15280251565.gif

The two field terminals work the same way the older electronic regulators did. Wire it the exact same way your truck's two field wires were connected. This would be the same for older cars too, with solid state electronic regulators.
This Magnum alternator does not have an internal regulator. That is why it works this way.
The diagram above is correct. The one that says ground - terminal was a ground cable, but I forget where the other end went. The one that says wire harness hold down is just clamp to support those wires, nothing more.

-
Back