Alternators-adjust my thinking

-

Murray

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I must be thinking wrong-Help! This started when I wanted to pick up a 60A round back alternator for my '68 cuda resto. According to my parts info, from '66-'68, the 60A alternator carries the part #3000010 w/ pulley. Assumed that the seven digit number stamped on the back case by the large terminal would be the same. Now I am confused- can't locate this number and alternator numbers offered I can't locate in parts book. I must be doing something wrong, please straighten me out. How can I locate and identify a 60A round back alternator for early VR?

The whole alternator part number - alternator with pulley p/n - and amp rating is difficult to figure out.

TSB 66-78 is helpful even though its 1966
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "1966 TSBs and Related Material Index" Page

3000010 is 60 amp alternator with 2.75" double groove pulley if installed as an ordered option.
If the same number is in the '68 FSM, then it was also the number used for the replacement.

37 or 46 amp would have been the alternators on v-8 Barracuda's in 68
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Barracuda0020.jpg

Would expect those are easier to find.
The 60 amp alternator isn't even shown as an option for a-bodies, although the vehicle assembly drawings show they at least planned for that possibility.

You have opened up a whole new line of thinking and confusion. I understand what you are saying- that part #'s in the FSM do not match the #'s on the alternator. Makes me wonder where is the listing of the numbers that are on the alternator. Should I conclude that the only way that the ampere rating of a Mopar alternator can be known is to spin it up? Thanks for the input.

On an original Chrysler alternator—whether new or used—the part number is stamped on the rear housing. Sometimes the amp rating is, too, but if not, the P/N lets you look it up. All bets are off once the alternator has been "remanufactured" (thrown together with mixed-up parts).

Cars with factory-installed 60- or 65-amp alternators got (much) heavier-duty charging system wiring and upgraded ammeters.

Cars without factory-installed 60- or 65-amp alternators, whose owners toss on big-amp alternators, eventually get wiring and ammeter upgrades to repair the damage after a high-amperage event (dead cell in battery, giving or receiving a jump start, etc).

Old Car Parts Northwest has a large stock of NOS Chrysler alternators. I know they have a lot of '72+ squareback items, not sure what they have in roundbacks.

3000 010 is the part number for a 1968 60-amp alternator with pulley, the service replacement for original-equipment alternators with three different pulleys: 2¾" double-groove (№ 2444 476), 3" double-groove (№ 2095 059), and 2½" single-groove (№ 2444 478). These pulley numbers are stamped on the front face of the pulley's hub, so if you are working toward a high-correctness resto, you'll need the correct pulley. The 1968 60A alternator without pulley is 3000 011.

Murray. Your interpretation of the bulletin is the same as mine.
At least in some instances the replacement alternators listed in the parts book will be different than the production part number stamped on the housing.
Maybe it was just in the 1966 model year due to a change in venders.

I'm sure some people with interest in 'as built' preservation and restoration probably know more.
ICCA or MMC??
Maybe Barry has some suggestions
Not sure the notification system is working but give it a shot @Alaskan_TA

Plum Crazy Garage and Dixie were two places doing alternator restorations. They might know.

This thread has a bunch of info.
69 alternator

Not as much but shows the broadcast sheet is different.
1968 BO29 LO23 car, what alternator

This is a confusing area, really appreciate everyones input. This all started because I thought I would pick up a few more amps from an alternator that could have been originally installed. Still, the #2098830 on it now I can't track down. Am assuming it's a 37A of unknown year. Part is supposed to be #2642537 for '68 v8, even my 383 no A/C, still a 37A.

My generic book for Mopars from 66 to 68 :
6 cyl ----26 Amp
V-8 -----35 Amp
w/AC----44 Amp
Special--51 Amp

Personally, I wouldn't run any more than the 44 Amp alternator thru the stock firewall connector without modifying the connector/wiring.

...........A story from the old days............ Many of you know I once owned a 70 RR 440-6, bought from a friend. Both of us were radio amateurs. Both of us had "some" radio gear in the car at some time. The car DID NOT Have the heavy duty police/ fire / taxi wiring mod. This was in the early 70's when the car was nearly new

Before I got out of the Navy in '74 the car "ate" the bulkhead terminals and damaged the ammeter which mounts in the PLASTIC cluster housing on that car (Ralleye dash) Not having the advantage of this site here (or Al Gore's internet) I ran large gauge wire through holes enlarged in the bulkhead terminals, and took the ammeter apart and reworked it

By this time the car had a rebuilt alternator, I'm not sure what it actually came with. The original owner had ordered the 65 A alternator and obviously that is NOT what it came with

in '74 the car "ate" the bulkhead terminals

So the car was 4-5 yrs old max, and a bit of added load from the HAM stuff in the trunk, and the infamous bulkhead charging circuit issue reared it head? That's interesting. Should add that to the electrical sticky posts.

Enjoy the stories/lessons learned. What I have learned is that my '68 cuda, 383 originally came with only 37A, alt. #2642537. A/C not available. So it was big engine but small electrical demand, so increasing the ampere output unnecessarily might compromise that famous bulkhead connector. So, because of this great input have decided to keep this as a resto and stick with the original 37A. Thanks guys.

-
Back