alternators burning up

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
seems ive been having 1 to many alternator poblems fired the old cuda the other day an the altenator was fried again , that's 3 in the last 2 seasons . single pulley 55amp single field . any 1 else having this problem or possibly have the answer ? voltage reg brand new and good. just an off the shelf rebuilt alternator

Been thru this multiple times after replacing fried voltage regulators, alternators and batteries even after running a separate ground wire from voltage regulator frame to ground terminal and radiator support for additional ground points. I had a regulator fail in the fully closed position which burned all my gauges and dash wiring harness. I bought an internally regulated alternator which bypasses the voltage regulator and has the need for running a new at least 10 gauge wire from alternator to either starter or starter relay. I believe the A/C compressor draw at idle was the culprit of mine as the amp draw was too much for the alternator output and wire size on the factory harness. I'd run a new wire in addition to factory wire from alternator to either starter or starter relay in addition to another ground point since all grounds on the car go thru the motor mounts on the engine. I have not tested the new alternator yet but really believe taking the amperage load off the ammeter and dash harness will greatly help.

Years ago a friend had a chevy nova w/350. Repeatedly loosing alternator, regulator, or both. So he finally brings it to me. While in just initial look over, no tools or testers out, I noticed the ground cable screwed to block has a good wrap of oily loose electric tape on it. I gave that wire a slight tug and it pulled right out of the bolted lug/terminal. Replaced that cable, went ahead and upgraded him to the later models internally regulated alternator, no more problems.
Bottom line, poor connections are the typical culprit. They aren't always so easily found though.

yah that's what I am finding out saterday will tell more of the story hopefully short and sweet

-
Back