alum radiators

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
had a big set back yesterday. car slipped off of floor jack. was trying to move it sideways a little, bowed the bottom of my new alum radiator up about a 1/2" clear up to the middle of it-heighth wise, almost dead centered. afraid to try to straighten it. it pushed the shroud up enough to touch the fan blades slightly. guess I`ll air test it, doesn`t appear to be leaking, but who knows when the 505" wedge gets the temps up in the summer in 90 to a 100 degree heat, w/ the added vibration. it`s a 28x19 crossflow griffin in a 68 barracuda. would you`all trust it ? one:banghead: step forward , 1 step back ! dammmit!!

had a big set back yesterday. car slipped off of floor jack. was trying to move it sideways a little, bowed the bottom of my new alum radiator up about a 1/2" clear up to the middle of it-heighth wise, almost dead centered. afraid to try to straighten it. it pushed the shroud up enough to touch the fan blades slightly. guess I`ll air test it, doesn`t appear to be leaking, but who knows when the 505" wedge gets the temps up in the summer in 90 to a 100 degree heat, w/ the added vibration. it`s a 28x19 crossflow griffin in a 68 barracuda. would you`all trust it ? one:banghead: step forward , 1 step back ! dammmit!!

also how high would a person air test it? I`m thinking 50-60 lbs., too much ??

A radiator shop should be able to pressure check it. If it passed that, I wouldn't worry about it

also how high would a person air test it? I`m thinking 50-60 lbs., too much ??

yes, your cooling system only has as much pressure as the cap that you use. I'll bet a 20 lb test would work just dandy. I had my heater core tested and the rad shop owner said
"I took it to 18 LBS and that's more than I needed to."

I usually check the rad for pressure by going three to four pounds more than the factory spec. 16# on the cap, I'll take it to 19# or 20#. I'll pressure check an entire system just a few pounds over, too.

One inexpensive way to check a rad is the use of a bicycle inner tube. Cut it in the middle, opposite the valve stem, clamp both ends to the radiator. Fill with water. Put your air compressor to the valve stem and put air in it. (Of course, you'll have to plug off the overflow nipple, but that's not hard with a piece of hose, a couple of clamps and a bolt.) Let it sit for a little while and see if it continues to hold pressure, checking over for leaks.

-
Back