Aluminum Flywheel Warped

-

1975abody

Reaction score
My Duster has a McLeod B&B clutch and a McLeod aluminum flywheel. Out of the blue one day the clutch just stopped releasing cleanly, and I could not get the trans into gear without shutting the engine off. Finally pulled it apart this weekend, and found that the disc had chewed into the friction surface of the flywheel about .04" !

I am assuming that the aluminum flywheel and or the steel insert warped, and was causing the disc to drag. There is also a pattern on the pressure plate that matches the pattern on the flywheel.

The car is has a 340 with a 557 purple cam, ported heads, and is street driven only.

I may throw the flywheel back on and indicate it, to try to determine if it's just the insert that is warped, or the flywheel itself.

Has anyone had an aluminum flywheel warp ?

7779B2FF-CEEB-4BBB-A0FF-2D15B6D346B9.jpeg

Yes. What disc are you running? Take it to a local shop and have them surface it and reuse it. You also need to take the PP to a local friction house and have them surface the pressure ring. I'd suspect the pressure ring warped first. The aluminum will dump heat fairly quick. I'm betting the pressure ring isn't flat either.

What disc are you running? Take it to a local shop and have them surface it and reuse it. You also need to take the PP to a local friction house and have them surface the pressure ring.

It has a McLeod organic disc. I'm going to start calling around to some clutch shops tomorrow. If I can't find one I'll send the pp and flywheel back to McLeod.

Did you get this resolved?
Edit: dammit, didn’t realize this was a year old! Thought it said 2019. LOL.

Did you get this resolved?
Edit: dammit, didn’t realize this was a year old! Thought it said 2019. LOL.

Glad you brought this back up. I forgot at the time to mention at the time that uneven finger heights will cause that. Somehow I got side tracked and didn't post it.

Finger height needs to be measured even on new pressure plates.

-
Back