AM Chrysler Solid State Radio

-

Mike's Dart

Dodging The Negative Darting Toward The Positive
Reaction score
The radio in my 73 Dart has not worked since purchasing the car back in November. No big deal really but I'm going to take her to the first car show of the season and just thought it would be cool if I could find an easy fix by next weekend. I have not looked at it, I really just like to hear my old /6 rolling down the road! Thanks!

Mike

Hey thanks for the plug 65-440

Yes I do radio conversions. Those radios a specialty of mine. Pm for info.

Thanks again
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it do anything at all? Usually the electrolytic caps dry out and you need new ones.
Nothing, no static or anything. The switch makes a solid "click" sound when turning the knob on and off. I need to get under the dash and give it a look see and if I'm lucky it'll just be a loose wire. What are the "electrolytic caps" you spoke about? Thanks!

Mike

Nothing, no static or anything. The switch makes a solid "click" sound when turning the knob on and off. I need to get under the dash and give it a look see and if I'm lucky it'll just be a loose wire. What are the "electrolytic caps" you spoke about? Thanks!

Mike
Electrolytics are a type of capacitor used in radio's. The older ones were prone to go bad with age, even if the radio didn't get used a lot. They also had carbon resistors that would drift off value and cause problems.

There are also Germanium transistors that go bad over time. You cant just replace them with silicons either as their is a different voltage bias on the silicons. They were used alot back in the 60's but maybe not so much in the 70's. Capacitors look like little cans, a leaking one will have crusty residue on the bottom (unless its huge, then it may be glued on the bottom) or the top vent will be bulged. remove and replace with same cap, they are like .15 a piece and a simple solder job, they are polarized so make sure to make note of the position of the - stripe. The big screw mount TO-3 transistors use a mica insulator behind it, sort of like a gasket. Use it, dont lose it.

-
Back