Amazon plasma cutter caught fire

-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
I got a $200 plasma cutter for Christmas and here's what happened.
Turned on fine, 110 or 220v, but the OC warning light came on a couple times when trying out the pilot function.
I hadn't cut anything yet, and cycling the power got rid of the OC light.
The third time I tried the pilot arc it made crazy loud firecracker sounds, like a string of firecrackers going off and it tripped the breaker and I could see it was on fire inside the plasma cutter.
A piece of transistor(?) fell out later after I surveyed the damage and my heart rate came back down.
I spent 3 hours figuring out the house wiring was fine, so I guess that's one positive.
Happy New Year y'all

Did you have it grounded and air pressure on, what was your current setting? Sum ting wong there! 65'

It has a 110 and a 220, it can do either and comes with an adapter pigtail. It acted the same on 110 and 220, but failed on 220. The 220 outlet I've used for years with a TIG welder and air compressor with no problems

I have been running one for 4 or 5 years. Never had an issue. Still unsure if i would step up to a name brand version.

If the consumables get discontinued i would move on to a hypertherm, if i decide to get another one.

I got a $200 plasma cutter for Christmas and here's what happened.
Turned on fine, 110 or 220v, but the OC warning light came on a couple times when trying out the pilot function.
I hadn't cut anything yet, and cycling the power got rid of the OC light.
The third time I tried the pilot arc it made crazy loud firecracker sounds, like a string of firecrackers going off and it tripped the breaker and I could see it was on fire inside the plasma cutter.
A piece of transistor(?) fell out later after I surveyed the damage and my heart rate came back down.
I spent 3 hours figuring out the house wiring was fine, so I guess that's one positive.
Happy New Year y'all
Sorry for your loss but most Amazon purchases have a generous return policy. Check it out. What brand and model please? Looking to purchase an inexpensive unit for recreational use. Looking at a Bestarc BTC500D. Had a pretty good review and test on Blewtoob.

The IGBT or FETs got wonky and then failed short, most likely. What make and model?

I have a LOTOS LTP5000D I bought off amazon and it has been good so far. Pilot function is nice and it went through four feet of 1/2" plate without much drama. The quarter panel was like hot knife through warm butter.

I did return it, full refund so I got a different one. The broke one was a hitbox cut55 pilot arc. The new one I have is a dynaloop 50a and it's working awesome. These things cut metal crazy easy. And you don't have to light the torch every time.
The dynaloop actually has a decent manual

Last edited:
Did you have it grounded and air pressure on, what was your current setting? Sum ting wong there! 65'
It went wrong fast lemme tell ya. 12 amps, 65 psi air, grounded to workpiece but I hadn't touched it yet. Fried testing the pilot function into the air. Air pressure might've been off but it's what the manual shows

Have any of you used Jegs brand plasma cutters they seem to be a good deal is it just a relabeled or re boxed generic model that everybody uses and re badges?

The new one has an internal regulator and standard quick connector for air on the back

20220105_162603.jpg

-
Back