amp meter

-

duster44d

Reaction score
I read that if i install a newer version alternator that i should unhook the wires to my stock amp meter and tape them together.
Will this short out any wiring or can those wires be wired to an aftermarket volt meter.
View attachment sp_a0088.jpg

All of the power inside the cabin goes through those 2 wires. To simply tape them together isn't sufficient. You can bolt them together and tape that up well if you want.
These 2 wires are hot at all times so a volt meter cannot be attached to them.
You really dont have to do anything different from factory connections.
Of the millions of these amp gauges produced there have been only a very few problems with them. Reading about those few on the internet can create a mountain of worries though.
I did convert my amp gauge to a volt gauge but only because I can. I never thought for a minute that I needed to do it.

i bypassed my ammeter gauge all together because it was acting funny and i didnt want to take a chance. i wired it like the diagram below and added a seperate volt gauge, just to be on the safe side of everything..........

Attachments

• amp-ga27.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 287
Definitely do not tape them together. Do like the post above says. Nut and bolt together. Insulate with multiple layers of tape. Secure so it doesn't flop around.

AND you really should do more than that.

Read this MAD article which is where the diagram above came from:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

There is SEVERAL areas of concern, ESPECIALLY if you go to a much larger output alternator, and / or start adding hi current accessories, like halogen headlights, big stereo, pump, and electric fans, etc.

First the bulkhead connector ALWAYS has been a problem. Pretending it is not is silly. Some time ago, "we" dug up a discussion that showed police/ taxi/ fleet cars had ?dealer? modified wiring so that the large charging/ battery feed BYPASSED the bulkhead connector, so this has been a problem for a LONG period of time.

"Back in" the day, my 70 RR ruined the bulkhead connector from too much heat and current I reamed it out, and ran larger conductors right through the connector

The areas are:

Too small charging / battery feed conductors

The bulkhead connector terminals were NEVER designed for that kind of current

The ammeter itself can be a problem, as the studs are not really connected to the "shunt" in the ammeter, and in the pickup type later ammeter shown at MAD, it is WORSE, as the "whole thing" is held together against the PLASTIC cluster housing, so when it gets WARM it gets LOOSE, and then it gets LOOSER because it gets HOTTER.

I have personally seen several vans/ pickups that looked EXACTLY like that photo. Some of them were pu's with electric/ hydraulic snow plow systems.

"Back in" the day, my 70 RR ruined the bulkhead connector from too much heat and current I reamed it out, and ran larger conductors right through the connector

My entire wiring going through the cowl is installed this way. It looks like I have bulk head connectors but actually its just straight wire only. I reamed mine out when I rewired the entire car.

Thanks i needed the info and all that has been provided will be put to use.

-
Back