Amp Power Source

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to change the power source of the amp in my truck from hot all the time, as the original instructions said, to a keyed on source. Can I do this without any ill effects? Thank you drive through.

I would use a relay from the ign switch through the battery that way no real current is drawn through the switch. The relay will allow current to go from the battery to the amp and the ign switch will activate the relay. Simple and easy!!

Many aftermarket amps have a power relay built in, with a switch wire that can be wired to the head unit. Yours doesn't have that?

Should be easy but a relay should be used. Typically you have a heavier main power wire and a smaller trigger wire that connects to the power antenna wire coming from your radio. If the smaller wire is what you want to switch that's no problem but if it's the main power wire you're looking to switch on and off then I recommend a relay.

The amplifiers i am accustomed to have like an 8 gauge wire coming out. Needs battery voltage. And a trigger wire. Built in relay is the norm.

Many aftermarket amps have a power relay built in, with a switch wire that can be wired to the head unit. Yours doesn't have that?

It does. It also has a large power wire straight to the battery. It's a Blaupunkt thb210A powered subwoofer. I am also getting ready to add a smaller Kicker amp for the door speakers. I was taking for granted using relays.

Should be easy but a relay should be used. Typically you have a heavier main power wire and a smaller trigger wire that connects to the power antenna wire coming from your radio. If the smaller wire is what you want to switch that's no problem but if it's the main power wire you're looking to switch on and off then I recommend a relay.

Yes, that's what I am wanting to do. I don't want the main power wire on a constant 12V.

Rob, i would consider a continuous duty solenoid over a relay. They handle more than the generic 30/40 amp relays. More money but will handle the surge power the amp uses.

Well you guys are speculating, helpful as you are trying to be. If this uses a dedicated "big" wire feed similar to MSD, with a smaller "trigger" wire, there is no need for an extra relay, certainly not a big solenoid. Just run the trigger to a keyed source. Not sure? Easy. Measure the current draw on the small "power on" wire. If it's less than an amp, just wire it through the fuse panel as you would a tach, etc.

The size of the "power on" wire should be a big clue.

Well you guys are speculating, helpful as you are trying to be. If this uses a dedicated "big" wire feed similar to MSD, with a smaller "trigger" wire, there is no need for an extra relay, certainly not a big solenoid. Just run the trigger to a keyed source. Not sure? Easy. Measure the current draw on the small "power on" wire. If it's less than an amp, just wire it through the fuse panel as you would a tach, etc.

The size of the "power on" wire should be a big clue.
That's correct but I'm thinking he wants to disconnect all power to the amp.

Understandable. Another level of safety. Can control solenoid with key,amp trigger can be tied into amp main power. As main power will be controlled. Less wire.

Now the trigger wire is not powered until the radio itself is turned on, so there's its switched source, so I'm going to leave it be. No radio power, no trigger power. All I am wanting to do is put the amp on a switched source. Ok, one more stupid question. Do you think if I do add a relay that I can put both amps on the same relay and circuit? Thank you drive through.

Yeh, but again, find out if the "main" power lead draws any current with the trigger (radio) off. If you are going to switch the main anyway, then I'd agree a continuous duty solenoid is likely what you want. The "right" way would be to determine how much current the thing(s's's's's) draw at full output. Then buy a relay rated for at least that much. Go overboard. LOL

Now the trigger wire is not powered until the radio itself is turned on, so there's its switched source, so I'm going to leave it be. No radio power, no trigger power. All I am wanting to do is put the amp on a switched source. Ok, one more stupid question. Do you think if I do add a relay that I can put both amps on the same relay and circuit? Thank you drive through.
Yes you can put both on one relay, just make sure it's designed for continuous use and that it's capable of handling the current draw. See what size fuse is in the amps and get one that will handle twice the current (because you have 2 amplifiers).

-
Back