An old mans rig (compressor) Share

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked this rig up back in January this year for $20.00 at a garage sale inside of the fair ground, I plugged it in there and it sounded great so I had Creed come and pick it us and bring it home for me, I used it for the first time yesterday :coffee2:
I put about 4 table spoons full of A/C oil in it I had in a convertion kit I had and pluged it in and I could not believe how fast this very quit thing pumped up to 90lbs in the tank, just guessing it is 25 gallons, It took 3 minutes to pump up to
90 lbs 8) It rolls around easily and I hit my air shocks with it to make sure the gage was reading right, sure enough it lifted my rear all the way up, my tire gage said 87 lbs in my air shocks :cheers:

Some old fellow sure knew what he was doing 8) it pumps VERY fast and all I can hear is the 110 volt motor running...on 3 wheels and the front swivels

Had to share this home made compressor some one spent allot of time on :D

Attachments

• MAKING CASH FOR MONSTER MOPAR 044.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 354
Know to paint it camo and put a nice new supply wire on it, looks like the tank is galvanize

that's really cool and a steal at $20
Shoot yea! I could not go wrong for $20..
This rig is HEAVY!! The ol man threw some heavy steal at it, and it looks like a ford a/c compressor doing the work :coffee2: I am amazed how fast it filles the tank, I have it shutting off at 100lb's and I used it to blow dust, bugs and leaves
out of the shop yesterday, amazing how fast that compressor is and does it so fast :tongue9: with a whisper 8)

yea mine is loud as hell way bigger and takes twice as long at least lol
Creed and I bought a 30 gallon to run his nail guns (he builds Decks on the side) and it is loud and will not keep up with this old mans rig he build 8) amazing I thought also :coffee2:

Yep, this will be handy for allot of stuff, lawn mower tires to even running a
nice small 1/4 air ratchet I use allot, but I need a inline regulator before I do that.

How 'bout this? Maybe you could flip some of the fittings around and turn that tank into a vacuum tank if you ever want to do some A/C work on your car, you can "suck it down" before recharging it. I'll bet that compressor is up to the task.

Might wanna put a little K&N filter on that bad boy too.....NICE SCORE for $20, though!!!....amazing!

How 'bout this? Maybe you could flip some of the fittings around and turn that tank into a vacuum tank if you ever want to do some A/C work on your car, you can "suck it down" before recharging it. I'll bet that compressor is up to the task.

Might wanna put a little K&N filter on that bad boy too.....NICE SCORE for $20, though!!!....amazing!
Way ahead of you cudavert :D and yes, all I have todo is put a coupler inline with the inlet where I will put the filter and use it for a vacuum pump 8)

so camo it up and post pics it works amazing it should look amazing lol
A good cleaning and a new supply line and it will look like a fern :D

That is pretty cool memike
Thank you Cliff, I sure fell into a cool deal that someone with brains and tools to build this thing :D It is simplicity at it's best 8)

Those won't pull down far enough to be a good vacuum pump, but having said that, "back then" in the early 70s I had an aftermarket hang on AC on my 70RR, and had occasion to remove it. When I reinstalled it, (long before refrigerant regulations, LOL) here's what I did:

Bought ??4?? or so cans of R12

Sacrificed one can for a "purge" charge.

Evacuated the system by ??? hooking it up to engine vacuum at idle ??? LOL.

Sacrificed can no2 for a purge charge.

Re-evacuated with engine vacuum

Then re--charged the system. Ran it several years!!!! LOL

Sorry, no pictures.

When I was "little bitty" my Dad/ Gramps found a little refer unit "at the dump," and I can still remember the smell from MANY feet away as Dad nipped one of the tubes AND RAN!!! LOL. (This would have been ammonia, methyl chloride, or sulfur dioxide, all very dangerous stuff)

We had that lying around for years, a small 1/2 hp single cyl. When I was around 14 I found enough stuff laying around home to build it up to a tank, motor, compressor on wheels.

Didn't put out squat for volume, as it was very small. But it WAS enough to save pumping a tire pump!!!

!!!WHAT!!! None of you "kids" know what a tire pump is????

A fancy two--cylinder compound "high pressure" pump:

7393_jpg.jpg

made when tire pumps were "made."

il_340x270.422239303_rhk0.jpg

A "3 holer???"

$%28KGrHqN,!qkFCSl,%28NMZBQy2rOOIo!~~60_35.JPG

Pretty common for guys to use a similar set up in off road trucks. Saw several guys in the Pine Barrens with there a/c compressor hooked up to an air tank.

Those won't pull down far enough to be a good vacuum pump, but having said that, "back then" in the early 70s I had an aftermarket hang on AC on my 70RR, and had occasion to remove it. When I reinstalled it, (long before refrigerant regulations, LOL) here's what I did:

Bought ??4?? or so cans of R12

Sacrificed one can for a "purge" charge.

Evacuated the system by ??? hooking it up to engine vacuum at idle ??? LOL.

Sacrificed can no2 for a purge charge.

Re-evacuated with engine vacuum

Then re--charged the system. Ran it several years!!!! LOL

Sorry, no pictures.

When I was "little bitty" my Dad/ Gramps found a little refer unit "at the dump," and I can still remember the smell from MANY feet away as Dad nipped one of the tubes AND RAN!!! LOL. (This would have been ammonia, methyl chloride, or sulfur dioxide, all very dangerous stuff)

We had that lying around for years, a small 1/2 hp single cyl. When I was around 14 I found enough stuff laying around home to build it up to a tank, motor, compressor on wheels.

Didn't put out squat for volume, as it was very small. But it WAS enough to save pumping a tire pump!!!

!!!WHAT!!! None of you "kids" know what a tire pump is????

A fancy two--cylinder compound "high pressure" pump:

7393_jpg.jpg

made when tire pumps were "made."

il_340x270.422239303_rhk0.jpg

A "3 holer???"

$%28KGrHqN,!qkFCSl,%28NMZBQy2rOOIo!~~60_35.JPG
I bet you have seen refrigerator compressors used as a vacuum pump before :glasses7: They would pull 40 vacuum lbs in no time and hold it, and suck all the moisture out.... :D, I bet you are an ol fart with a young hart
I have never seen a tri powered pump before, very cool old pumps there :cheers:

Pretty common for guys to use a similar set up in off road trucks. Saw several guys in the Pine Barrens with there a/c compressor hooked up to an air tank.
I have seen dodge M trucks with a 7 gallon tank on them for compressed air from an order to the customer, chevy also, I used one for a fuel sell in a stock cars many moons ago :glasses7:

Nice find,Memike .
Thanks Abody, I did some cleaning on it today and took before pictures :D

This thing is soooooo so quiet My before pictures befor I doll it up with new wiring and
paint.. Yes this thing is perfect for my need till I can get a 60 gallon 5hp unit one day..

Attachments

• MAKING CASH FOR MONSTER MOPAR 047.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 260
  • MAKING CASH FOR MONSTER MOPAR 048.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 258
  • MAKING CASH FOR MONSTER MOPAR 049.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 250
  • MAKING CASH FOR MONSTER MOPAR 050.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 236
Mike ya ought'ah "rig" a filter on the intake.
I am :glasses7: I put that in a post here yesturday and you can see a port (low side charging port) on top I can use to pump an a/c system down by putting a ball **** valve on to shut the air filter off if I ever need to pull vacuum to test for leaks, Yes sir 67Dart273 a must do to make it last and completed right, Thank you :glasses7:

-
Back