And just like that....Dany's race engine is gone!!

-

motorpirate

serial mopar owner
Reaction score
If you have been following her on the Racers forum we were getting a magnum together to swap into the '66 Cuda she has been bracket racing this summer.
Pulled the heads (yup..cracked gonna run them anyway) looked the rest over and was just about to order a cam when BANG!!
Her daily driver Durango (a 5.9 also) spews all its coolant out the exhaust!!
So we decided it didn't make sense to repower the Barracuda with an engine that would drop right in her Durango and get her back and forth to school.( it sucks to be responsible)
So she lapped the valves and we threw the heads and intake back on it and dumped it in the Durango.
We haven't done an "autopsy" of the other engine yet but I'm hoping it can be rebuilt to go in the Cuda instead. Maybe a good excuse to put some EQ318B's on it??

20180911_125819.jpg

20180911_125839.jpg

20180911_125851.jpg

20180912_122903.jpg

20180918_163510.jpg

20180918_163515.jpg

That sucks been there done that. Hope the Durango engine will provide her with a good core to build on. Keep us updated

She is using the exact same valve lapper I have. Sorry to hear....

I'm not sure how far you are from Ohio but I saw a 318 on Facebook earlier said it ran when pulled but smokes. For 75 bucks it's about 6 hours for me a little to far or I would get it myself. I'm looking for a spare 318 or 360 myself if I find one close to you I will let you know

Yeah man, that valve lapper is old school. I showed a friend of mine one of those and asked him if he knew what it was. He played with it for about 30 minutes throwing out wild guesses but he had no clue.

Yeah man, that valve lapper is old school. I showed a friend of mine one of those and asked him if he knew what it was. He played with it for about 30 minutes throwing out wild guesses but he had no clue.
two steps forward and a one step back...... LOL... click click they go... :D
I've done a lot of heads..... If it should fail, I have another way.... using a drill and a rubber hose

And there goes the manicure. Seeing any teenager with a greasy tool in its hands now days is a nice change. Good luck. Hopefully its a massive head gasket fail only, not a windowed cylinder.

Finally got into Danys motor today. Didn't find what we thought we would!!
Still had coolant in the block supporting that she said it never overheated.
Heads are cracked, but the cracks are still closed.
And this little suprise!!!
And Dany's brother Nick learned you need to remove the lock pin to rotate the engine!! (Moose Boy..)
I think the cylinders (195K) look the same as the other motor with 100K.
I guess this answers the "should I re use the factory valve springs " question...

20181123_140721.jpg

20181123_143958.jpg

20181123_150659.jpg

It still seems like you have 15 valvesprings you can reuse:D
Just kidding.
Good to see that you had a replacement engine available when it was needed!

Noticed that you seem to have a bent pushrod in the background in the valvecover,how does that go togheter with the broken valvespring?
That bent valve atleast seems to be a good testament to the quality of the valves,that could easily have been a broken of valve making more damage..

It still seems like you have 15 valvesprings you can reuse:D
Just kidding.
Good to see that you had a replacement engine available when it was needed!

Noticed that you seem to have a bent pushrod in the background in the valvecover,how does that go togheter with the broken valvespring?
That bent valve atleast seems to be a good testament to the quality of the valves,that could easily have been a broken of valve making more damage..
Looks like spring broke, then the valve hung open and pushrod fell out catching the outside edge of the rocker, then bent on the next cycle.

-
Back