Angry with Myself -- Spun a Wheel Stud

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I knew from last year that I had a couple of wheel studs that did not appear to be snug in the hubs (a little bit of wobble). This winter I took the wheels and tires off both to clean them up and rotate them and to possibly tack weld the studs so they wouldn't move or spin. But in my haste, I decided to go ahead and just put the wheels back on and of course I ended up regretting it. The last lug on the last wheel (drivers side front) spun the stud in the hub after it got about half way on. So of course I had to remove the entire front hub assembly to get the wheel off. Needless to say, it looks like I am going to be welding the studs in place now anyway. Should have gone with my first instinct.

I knew from last year that I had a couple of wheel studs that did not appear to be snug in the hubs (a little bit of wobble). This winter I took the wheels and tires off both to clean them up and rotate them and to possibly tack weld the studs so they wouldn't move or spin. But in my haste, I decided to go ahead and just put the wheels back on and of course I ended up regretting it. The last lug on the last wheel (drivers side front) spun the stud in the hub after it got about half way on. So of course I had to remove the entire front hub assembly to get the wheel off. Needless to say, it looks like I am going to be welding the studs in place now anyway. Should have gone with my first instinct.
I did the same thing years ago. I think I ground the head of the lugnut off until i could get the wheel off, and then was able to grind enough of the stud off to pound it out, rheem to the next size, and put a new one in. The next brake setup was wilwood with screw in studs

If that ever happens again cut the nut with a mototool.
Bet taking that assembly off with the wheel on was fun.:D

Haste seems to always bite you in the A$$. I'll even say to myself "Your gonna regret this".

The times I do things like that which upsets me the most.
It's the PREVENTABLE things in life that are bad.
Things I have control over and go wrong are the worst.

-
Back