Another 1964 Valiant heap on the pile.

-

armyofchuckness

The Flying Valiant
Reaction score
Ah, the miracle of the internet allowing me to find this fine forum. So nice to be here! Allow me to introduce myself and my car.

I'm Chuck. When I was 15 I rescued an abandoned 1964 V-100 from a car port days before it was sent to the crusher. Its registration had expired three years prior and it had clearly not moved in at least that long. Still it was in remarkably solid shape despite its neglect. A good friend helped a kid that didn't know a camshaft from a crankcase make the dead 170 purr again. I drove that car all through high school and college. In that car, I learned many things. Everything from bench seats make for better dates to The Dukes of Hazzard should not be left to television. (Incidentally, you CAN kill a slant six.) After replacing the front suspension, motor mounts and the entire engine, I kept the Flying Valiant grounded. The new powerplant came in the shape of a 225 Slant from a '76 Dodge van. It was bored .30 over to give a little extra oomph, but other than that, it was let be.

In 2003, the Flying Valiant was retired for a brand-new Neon with such modern marvels as "air conditioning." The Valiant went to my father who kept it as an "auxiliary" vehicle. In 2006, the friend that helped me make Valiant fly passed away suddenly. As a tribute to him, I started working on the car again, giving it disc brakes and a new front end kit. Unfortunately, no sooner had I finished this project, than I had to move to another town for work, leaving the Valiant again with my parents.

Last week, my parent's house went on the market, meaning the Valiant was suddenly a "liability." It's time for me to get serious about fixing up my old friend.

The Valiant is currently having the torsion bars, alignment and leaf springs fixed. As soon as that's completed, the car will be moving up here to become my new daily driver. (One can only drive a Neon for so long.) The Valiant will become my daily driver once again, and I hope to give its Slant 6 a bit of a boost while still enjoying a certain amount of fuel friendliness.

Enough of me yammering. Now for the stats:

6950.jpg

•225 Completely stripped and rebuilt in 2000.
•1 Barrel Carter Carb.
•Manual steering box.
•Manual Wilwood disc brake conversion in 2006
•Rebuilt front suspension in 2006
•1973 Dart 7 1/4 axle installed in 2006
•American Racing 15x7 Vector Wheels (I guess I still love the Dukes of Hazzard.)

Here are my goals for the engine (Thanks to Lou on the slantsix.org forum for advice):

•Under dash air-conditioning. (Hey, it's Florida.)
•Electronic Ignition
•Dutra Duals
•Large valves (1.70/1.44)
•Port and plane
•340 valve springs
•Erson 280 int/270 exh duration cam, 0.465" lift
•2600-3000 RPM stall converter
•Offenhauser 4bbl intake with adapter plate
•Holley 500 CFM 2bbl carb w/elec choke
•Put O2 sensor in exhaust headpipe and Sunpro gauge under dash

Next comes bodywork, replacing the various window gaskets, upgrade the electrical system, and a complete revamp of the interior with some safety upgrades to the seat belts. (I'm currently debating three or four-point harnesses.)

Okay, that was far more than anyone would ever care to read. Glad to be here. Look forward to learning more about your cars and learning from your collective expertise.

Welcome aboard!! Nice to see yet another early A. Car looks nice and you have to get some more pics up when you can 8) Nice background story also. Dont all "car guys" love pics and car stories, or is it just me? Again, welcome, I'm fairly new here and its a GREAT site full of AWESOME people!!!

Thanks, Joe. They're awesome little cars. Love that 71 in your signature. One of the better looking front clips out of Mopar.

...description of cool, clean '64 Valiant...
Okay, that was far more than anyone would ever care to read. Glad to be here. Look forward to learning more about your cars and learning from your collective expertise.

I dig it Chuck! I really like the sport mirrors on it, too! What did those come off of? They totally flow with the lines on the front fenders. Keep 'er rollin'!

nice ride! its always great to hear about one more old mopar being saved. i have made alot of life long friends working together on cars so i know how cool that is. keep her going and keep us posted and most of all never sell it.

welcome ,thats a fine looking little valiant to be so neglected lol
Thanks, DareDevil. Yeah, it looks okay in that picture, but what you can't see is the gutted interior and the bubble rust on the back C pillars and rear quarters. It was repainted at an Econo Bake 8 years ago and the paint has really started to fade on the top as well. The miracle of finding a good angle for a picture. :)

nice car what rims do you have on the car and size /
are you going to keep it blue ?
They are American Racing Vector 15x7s. And yes. The Flying Valiant has always been blue, so I'm going to keep it in that color. It just doesn't sound right changing it.

I dig it Chuck! I really like the sport mirrors on it, too! What did those come off of? They totally flow with the lines on the front fenders. Keep 'er rollin'!
Thanks! Those mirrors are actually a 25 dollar special generic set they used to sell at Discount Auto Parts. I haven't seen them around lately. I need to get another set. The passenger side got snapped off by my dad taking it through an automatic car wash. :angry7: They look great, though, and I had them painted at the same time as the car. They still look great today. Well, the one that still works does.

wheels look great on the car ...are they small bolt pattern...?
I was surprised at how well they turned out. Unfortunately, they aren't available in small bolt. The car had a disc brake conversion that necessitated new wheels, so I decided to switch to large bolt pattern and get the Vectors.

Thank you all for your comments! I already love this forum and I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time on here in the days to come.

As I wake up this morning to check out or new members :coffee2:
I get a great story to start my day

Chuck Thanks for a great read and a good save.:thumleft:
Your 64 Valiant is looks great and your planes are the
same for my 66 Valiant 100.
I will be keeping the little 170/
Your 64 stands and looks very nice and I to like the sport mirror's :blob:
We have some great folks here and some of the best of the best tec's too.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Chuck, Looking forward to your new post and updates.

Here is my girl Victoria 66 V 100 daily driver. And I have just started updates on.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 010 (Custom).jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 002.jpg

I get a great story to start my day

Here is my girl Victoria 66 V 100 daily driver. And I have just started updates on.

Thanks, Mike! Victoria is a great looking car. Glad to see another Slant Sixer on the forum. I'm already overwhelmed with the warm welcome I've received here and I look forward to sharing tips and tech as I continue my project here. I've already made a couple of great connections with some other Valiant guys. It's encouraging to finally find people interested in something other than Chargers and Roadrunners. (Although I'll admit they are very cool.)

64 Grills are the nicest ones out there!
I gotta agree, Scotty. The Valiant and Barracuda have both had some really fine grills, but theirs something about the simple cleaness of the '64 that does it for me. I consider myself very blessed to have happened across such a car.

(Between you, me and the forum, when I found this car at 15, I was hoping for a Mustang and didn't even know what a Valiant was. #-oI'm happy to say both of those facts changed in a big hurry.

-
Back