another 360/408 over heating

-
In my opinion, it's not the tune.

Pull the shroud.

Did that work?

If no put it back and pull the thermostat.

If that dont work what does your coolant look like?

Do you have the rubber strip on the core support?

I went through a lot to keep my hi po small block cool.

Every overheating issue I read about, concerns using electric fans. (IMHO..I do not think they draw enough air flow through rad to cool efficiently)
Most cure the problem by:
- going back to the factory fan (or a similar fan...maybe a bit bigger)
- a properly fitted and sealed fan shroud <most likely a stock replacement> (by properly fitted, it is sealed so air is not drawn between shroud and radiator)

The sole purpose of your fan is to draw air THROUGH the radiator to cool the coolant as it makes it way through rad.....if you have air leaks around shroud, you are hindering this process by making the fan inefficient at it trying to do its job.......drawing air from around rad, instead of through it.

I think by drilling those extra holes in shroud, you are causing another inefficient "air leak" for fan to draw air from.

So you put holes in the shroud and the temp came down. Imagine that? The old geezers club was right.

Yellow Rose and JPar, can you two get a room and stop screwin up every thread you both participate in please? It's gettin old. We're actually trying to help this guy out. Thanks.

First off I have a 408 Stroker and yellow rose does not. I run electric fans yellow rose does not. I have tried electric fans with shroud on a stock radiator yellow rose has not. I still have it in my shed yellow rose does not. I have and aftermarket radiator and yellow rose does not and I use to electric fans pressed up against it successfully and yellow rose does not. As soon as I ditched that stock radiator and got a nice cheap Summit radiator and put the fans right on there and no shroud all of my overheating problems have went away. That's my experience....

This right here is what I am asking you both to stop. If I was a mod here, you'd BOTH have 30 days to think it over. Now please let it go so we can help the guy. Stop the stupid digs at each other. Yall are both adults. Please act like it.

Thread cleaned up.... Knock it off you guys. This is a legit thread where people are trying to help someone, stop with your petty BS. Don't make me tell you again.

Thread cleaned up.... Knock it off you guys. This is a legit thread where people are trying to help someone, stop with your petty BS. Don't make me tell you again.
and if you look back in the thread several times I've tried to give good advice here I have the same exact combination with the same exact problems and I've solve them..??

410 Stroker...
No working... Homemade shroud with 2 12in fans stock radiator (440 motorhome fans from a forum member)
20150211_152210.jpg

Working... No more overheating problems.
Same two fans mounted directly to cheap $150 Summit radiator....
IMG_20190502_224924.jpg

My last 2...

Those sure wouldn`t work on my 505 !
admittedly I haven't given them a try in the Dead Heat of the summer yet that's still to come. But I will not give up on my electric fans that's for sure. After working on a customer's 65 Impala yesterday and having that whirling blade of death close to my hands I think I even have him talked into getting an electric fan as well. I'll get a big Pusher fan out front for those extremely hot days if need be...
Stay tuned....

Also I should add at any speed I'm running about a hundred and seventy degrees so I know I have enough radiator no problem...

I hope to put the blade fan on this weekend. Weather dont look like it's going to cooperate. But I will be able to check out how it does sitting and surely if it cools sitting, driving should be no problem!

I know many here dont like or believe in electrics fans but they are on every car that is made today. I think if there was a way to draw from the center of the radiator with a tapered shroud that cover the complete radiator core it would look, however that's not possible so it's back to the steel fan. Good thing is that there was no shroud from factory.
Thanks and I will update later this weekend.
Rod

I hope to put the blade fan on this weekend. Weather dont look like it's going to cooperate. But I will be able to check out how it does sitting and surely if it cools sitting, driving should be no problem!

I know many here dont like or believe in electrics fans but they are on every car that is made today. I think if there was a way to draw from the center of the radiator with a tapered shroud that cover the complete radiator core it would look, however that's not possible so it's back to the steel fan. Good thing is that there was no shroud from factory.
Rod

Again, today's cars are DESIGNED to use electric fans. There is a ton of engineering that goes into it. Your car was never designed to use junk like that.

You'll be much better off controlling coolant temp then trying to save a few HP with electric fans. The water pump takes way more power to drive than that fan. And the water pump may take up to 10 HP.

I've tested it so many times it's just not funny. You also need to clean up the idle circuit a bit and then cut the shells off the plugs and post some pictures of that so we can see the rest of the tune up.

I'd say right now you can probably drop the main jet 4-6 sizes and open the power valve sooner. Jet with the mains for cruise and use power valve opening and the power valve channel restricters to jet for wide open throttle on the primary side.

I think you'll find you are using too much jet and either have the the throttle blades open too far or you may be able to use a bigger idle air bleed or if you can, use a smaller idle feed restriction. Not sure what carb you have and if you have changeable brass in those places.

If I can find some pictures I'll post up why you need to take the shells off so you can see what you are doing.

Here is a picture with the shells off. You can see I'm fairly close at idle, fat at cruise and still fat at WOT.

image.jpeg

Look how wide the fuel ring at the bottom is. That's a least twice as wide as it should be. At the very tip of the porcelain, you can see I starting to turn white, like it should be. In between the tip and the fuel ring at the bottom is where you see cruise fuel. As you can see...I'm still a bit fat there.

Once you get close, you can get a magnifying lens and not take the shells off unless you are trying to pick the fly poop out of the pepper.

Rod
just a question were you trying to gain more horsepower by using electric fans or were you trying to get the whirling blade of death away from your hands? Me personally I wasn't trying to gain any horsepower..
I have plenty of that to spare, that was the point of the Stroker...:thumbsup:

admittedly the first time I used the electric fans I had an electric water pump and I guess that wasn't going to turn the fan very well LOL....

Well, truth be told, I didnt want to lose HP and not that it mattered because I will have more then I'm ever going to need as well. But let's face it, electric fans work given you can put on a correct shroud and the fan can draw across the whole radiator. They also look very clean when in place and the shroud isn't all chopped up!
I grew up in the 70's and 80's working as a mechanic so the blades of death really dont seem like a safety issue because back then every car had blades.
I worry more about using a flex fan and it coming apart versus the actual fan!
As I said previously I'm going back in with the 4 blade fan and see what happens. I was given a flex fan and I may try it but if I were to go with one of those I would change to a new one every few years just to be safe!
Rod

Heres a question I have, how do you cut the shells off the plugs like in the pics posted by Yellow rose. Is there information on this procedure as I have never seen that done.
Rod

Heres a question I have, how do you cut the shells off the plugs like in the pics posted by Yellow rose. Is there information on this procedure as I have never seen that done.
Rod
Probably pretty easy if you have a lathe..

Probably pretty easy if you have a lathe..

Or a hack saw if you are careful or a cut off wheel if you don't get greedy and blow into the porcelain.

I have a lathe though so I just do it with that. In a pinch at the track without a magnifier I've used a hack saw. Many times. Usually I make the customer do it after I show them. Not my fault they don't have the tools.

Rod
What water pump are you running,???? Their is 1 inch hieght difference between the newer aluminum, long snout (1970 up), and the 1969 back (cast iron) these are shorter.
If you have the aluminum 70, and up, and change to the 69, older cast one , you can gain 1 inch clearance. But you will have to get different rad hoses. This might help to install a mopar heat operated "clutch type fan".
Dave

Plus you will need a new radiator, timing cover, upper/lower rad hoses, water pump, pulleys,fittings, on and on. And for what, to back the pump back a touch ? Sorry, bad idea.

-
Back