Another 440 Intake Question

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I'm building a 440 for my Dad's 1965 New Yorker. The goal is at least 500HP and 500Tq for the land yacht. Stock stroke, 10:1 compression ratio, Trick Flow heads, Holley Carb, Hydraulic Roller camshaft, would like around 18-19" of Hg at idle.

There isn't much hood clearance on these cars so a Edelbrock Performer RPM I'm 90% sure won't fit even with a drop down base air cleaner. I am looking at the Eddy Torker II and the Holley Street Dominator they are both about the same height. Looks like a lot of people on here like the Holley.
-Is the Holley still going to be a decent match for my combination?
-If the engine is making enough torque to brake the tires loose am I going to notice a difference with less torque down low going from a dual plane intake to a single plane on a 440?
-Is the Holley Street Dominator still available new? When searching for it on Holley's website, the only single plane for the 440 the caption says Holley Strip Dominator but in the picture it says Holley Street Dominator on the manifold. Holley 300-14 Holley Strip Dominator Intake - Chrysler Big Block V8

I think a dual plane would be better for that car. Either a factory cast iron version or an aluminum copy. Mopar sold an aluminum dual plane for years and Edelbrock might still make the low profile dual plane.

I don't think those types of manifolds will flow enough air to support the Trick Flow heads.

Your goal was 500 hp and a low profile dual plane will support 500 hp.

I think u could get it under the hood with some finagling w/ dropped base air cleaners . Lots of ways to skin a cat ------------

I think a dual plane would be better for that car. Either a factory cast iron version or an aluminum copy. Mopar sold an aluminum dual plane for years and Edelbrock might still make the low profile dual plane.

This a very reasonable suggestion. What is the 'land yacht' to be used for? Having tested it, the power difference from off idle to 3,500 rpm will be substantial with the suggested intakes, and how often is the car going to be used above that rpm range?

I think u could get it under the hood with some finagling w/ dropped base air cleaners . Lots of ways to skin a cat ------------
Would that be the higher profile Performer RPM intake you are thinking of?

in a build like this, would a 210cc head like an edelbrock/sidewinder be a better choice than the trick flow heads??

I forgot all about these tests on the Street Dominator and Edelbrock RPM intakes. At another time we did do some horsepower tests with a ported RPM intake on a street 496 stroker vs a Torker II single plane and the RPM made way more torque at the lower rpm's and equal horsepower at 6,000 rpm, which was about 640 HP if I remember correctly.

Oops, I briefly forgot to insert the test........

Air flows: Street Dominator & Edelbrock RPM

Last edited:
So between the Street Dominator and the RPM the street Dominator lost at the most 40 lb-ft of torque. When there is already enough torque to brake the tires loose are you really going to notice 40 lb-ft less torque? A lot of guys use the Street Dominator over on the C-body forum because of hood clearance that is why I was looking at that one.

This a very reasonable suggestion. What is the 'land yacht' to be used for? Having tested it, the power difference from off idle to 3,500 rpm will be substantial with the suggested intakes, and how often is the car going to be used above that rpm range?

So you are saying the Edelbrock Performer Intake will flow enough to reach his goals?
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds 2191

I'm building the engine for my Dad. He wants at least 500HP and 500TQ. Its going to be a Street car. He drives like an old man, so I bet it will see North of 3500 rpm vary rarely.

Last edited:
Edelbrock's low profile dual plane with reviews................

So between the Street Dominator and the RPM the street Dominator lost at the most 40 lb-ft of torque. When there is already enough torque to brake the tires loose are you really going to notice 40 lb-ft less torque? A lot of guys use the Street Dominator over on the C-body forum because of hood clearance that is why I was looking at that one.

So you are saying the Edelbrock Performer Intake will flow enough to reach his goals?

I'm building the engine for my Dad. He wants at least 500HP and 500TQ. Its going to be a Street car. He drives like an old man, so I bet it will see North of 3500 rpm vary rarely.
Could AndyF or I make an engine with your requirements using the 2191, I believe so. I don't know your engine building skills.

If you are using the original 2.76 or 3.23 rear gears I for sure would use the dual plane.

Not knowing your Dad's driving skills, 500/500 is enough to get someone killed real easy. Are you going to dyno it or just say, "It makes 500/500"? If you've never driven a real 500/500 it is something to behold and will feel spooky the first time.

Edelbrock's low profile dual plane with reviews................

Could AndyF or I make an engine with your requirements using the 2191, I believe so. I don't know your engine building skills.

If you are using the original 2.76 or 3.23 rear gears I for sure would use the dual plane.

Not knowing your Dad's driving skills, 500/500 is enough to get someone killed real easy. Are you going to dyno it or just say, "It makes 500/500"? If you've never driven a real 500/500 it is something to behold and will feel spooky the first time.

LOL , I`m not the orig. poster , but , 500 h.p. aint no step for a stepper !! lol again---

I don't think I'm going to dyno it. Usually cost to much for an engine dyno. I'm not even sure if there is an engine dyno near me. Most horsepower either of us have driven is his 2009 Challenger SRT 6.1L. And I know you can get in trouble quick with just 425 horsepower, hey but whats another 75 horsepower, lol.

I don't think I'm going to dyno it. Usually cost to much for an engine dyno. I'm not even sure if there is an engine dyno near me. Most horsepower either of us have driven is his 2009 Challenger SRT 6.1L. And I know you can get in trouble quick with just 425 horsepower, hey but whats another 75 horsepower, lol.
If it is a street car and you are not going to dyno it, it only has to feel like 500/500.

If it is a street car and you are not going to dyno it, it only has to feel like 500/500.

True, there are tons of 500hp cars out there that have never seen a dyno. I even know some 600hp ones around.

I just helped tune a 600 hp engine this weekend. It is a 508 with Trick Flow heads, Holley Sniper EFI, hyd roller cam, etc. Made 620 on the dyno. It is in a '70 RoadRunner with a four speed. I got the Sniper dialed in and we went for a drive. The owner couldn't do much more than breath on the pedal before the rear end started to come around. Even in third gear the rear was breaking loose when he started to accelerate. He wanted 600 hp but I'm a little worried that someone is going to kill themselves in that car.

I just helped tune a 600 hp engine this weekend. It is a 508 with Trick Flow heads, Holley Sniper EFI, hyd roller cam, etc. Made 620 on the dyno. It is in a '70 RoadRunner with a four speed. I got the Sniper dialed in and we went for a drive. The owner couldn't do much more than breath on the pedal before the rear end started to come around. Even in third gear the rear was breaking loose when he started to accelerate. He wanted 600 hp but I'm a little worried that someone is going to kill themselves in that car.

I just got upgraded from 467/514 to 600/575 thanks to IQ52 and can't wait to feel the difference.

The old school original Torker is also a rather low profile manifold that makes very good lower end TQ and has very good throttle response.

Solidly over 600ft/lbs & 500hp on a 505 with rpm heads and a small(.480 lift) hyd cam with a VS carb.

That motor has supposedly done in a couple of converters and rear ends.

-
Back