Another 8.75 post

-

Projectile Dart

Reaction score
Ive tried doing my searches and I keep on getting conflicting answers. I bought a 8.75 rear end from a guy that I believe was trying to be honest with me. He claimed that it was sold to him as an original '68 charger rear end with unknown gearing. He admitted that he was unable to take the drums off and that the drums were siezed but we were able to make them spin with some breaker bars. He gave it to me for $50 with a set of rims mounted so I took it. Upon disassembly I found it has tapered axles with castle nuts and the most beat up set of brakes I have ever seen in my life.
Question is... I am 99% sure I can re-use the center section and housing as those remain relatively universal across all 8.75's? If I swap out the axles to the more traditional style can I just throw a new drum on the front and call it a day? Or do I need a complete brake upgrade with backing plates and all? Is there anything else I am missing/should check before I go any further?

Thank you in advance

p.s. I understand I will need to move perches and possibly narrow the rear end to make it work in my A body

The tapered axle rear can be converted, but it has to have the more modern end flanges welded on. That's no big deal anyway, since you're going to have to cut it anyway. The ends are cheap and readily available.

You can buy the ends at Mancini Racing, and also new perches if the old ones can’t be saved.

You got a great deal either way. Unless the center section is rusted shut that is. Get different axles. shorten housing move perches good start.

What you bought is a 64-earlier B body rear end. The Castle but is a dead giveaway. As RRR said you’ll need to chop those ends off and use the 65-up axle ends, and use new/replacement axles in whatever flavor you prefer (A SBP/LBP), replacement backing plates and drums. It might be less expensive to find an A Body 8.75, although I see they can be pretty pricey

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who responded!
I got it all torn down just to see what I had, housing has a small dent in the back but overall just dirty and not rusty at all. Gears look great! 2.76 ratio open 741 case. At bare minimum I can say I bought a decent start to a center section for $50 and most of a housing :lol:
Lets say I do the cutting and welding parts myself, how much am I looking at $$$ wise as far as new axle shafts and brakes? I see Dr. Diff has most of what I need but I was hoping to have this under my Dart for less than what all the new parts will cost.
As for an appropriate A-body rear end... I haven't seen them within driving distance of me in Southern California for anything less than $1000 which is more than what I can afford right now.
In the mean time I will keep on driving my 7 1/4 until it blows up, its just do difficult to hold myself back from mashing the gas pedal as I am pretty sure my 360 will grenade it pretty quickly

You can't just cut the ends off and weld new ones on that easy. You need a jig to align everything with
I just finished mine if you go this route let me know i have the jig set up you can bring it here and ill help you with it, the welding was done by my certified pipe welding son. And the nice thing is your just down the street from me.
20190420_124718.jpg
20190420_124725.jpg

-
Back