another custom console

-

Martythetrimmer

Reaction score
this console is for a 67 Dodge ute...while they didn't come out in the US it's basicly the same floor as any 67 Mopar....

I started with a 1/4" MDF base cut to the shape I wanted....I then cut pieces of 3/4" pine to use as the uprights for the different sections

I constructed a box with removeable sides to fit inside the rear of the console....each section can be covered then reassembled...it's important to allow for the thickness of the material used as it realy adds up....best to make the box and cover it first then make the outer part to fit....

this is the basic outer part made...there will be a pocket in the front section with a lid....an open cavity next back...this will be modified later for a shifter once the ute is converted to V8 auto....then a large pocket at the rear covered by the padded lid

that's about it for the first post...being called for breakfast!!

next step was to make the insert for the open cavity in the centre of the console.....this is the underside of it which was covered first before an 1/8 MDF base was attached

a test fit of the insert before covering....the section behind it has now been fiberglassed over

to give the sides some more shape a 1/2 piece of MDF was cut to the profile of the side and then had urathaine foam sheet hot melt glued to the main frame

the foam was shaped with a hack saw blade the sanded to final shape ready for fibreglassing

it was then filled and sanded ready for the cover....this had to be done good enough to be painted as any imperfections will show almost as much as in paint

on the left is the test piece for the Logo for the front pocket lid.....the Logo on the right is the one that will be used on the actual lid

that's about it for today....will post images of it being covered soon.....

this is the liner for the rear pocket covered with one side removed to show construction & the LED light that is operated by a magnetic reid switch

this is the underside of the lid showing the magnet that operates the switch inside the pocket

view of the front half of the console....each piece is covered before final assembley

inside rear pocket

finished console....cover is made of 20 individual pieces

temp fit up of interior...still more to make yet!!

Nice job, I like it! I need to build something similar to hold my extra junk and also to add a couple of drink holders.

Excellent custom work mate, just one thing... your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

Very nice work. Can we see more pics of your backwards car? ��

-
Back