Another Eddy head question....

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
hey Fabo, in need of your help. I just ordered the 60779 Eddie heads for my 340. My question is, is the Howard's cam I have, too big for stock Eddies? Here are the cam specs:

Cam Style:Hydraulic flat tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range:2,600-6,200

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:230

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:236

Duration at 050 inch Lift:230 int./236 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration:277

Advertised Exhaust Duration:283

Advertised Duration:277 int./283 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.531 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.547 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.531 int./0.547 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees):110

Computer-Controlled Compatible:No

Valve Springs Required:Yes

Camshaft Manufacturers Description:Lopey idle, strong midrange. Good throttle response, 2,400+ stall.

The 340 is .30 over forged Pistons, 273 adjustable rockers.

Thank you in advance!

No, that cam is not too big...

Be sure to check piston to valve clearance and also make sure that your head can take over .500 lift - make sure your head guy checks that and gives some extra clearance like .600" lift before the valve will bottom out or coil bind....

You don't want a piston to kiss a valve...

Agreed. You could go A LOT larger!
I call that cam you have a typical street machine cam. It'll perform really well with the proper equipment backing it up.

I'd even add 1.6 rockers to the intake.

stock eddy valve springs support up to .575 lift ...if they are at the correct height...which the new heads I have check are generally around 1.85 instead of the 1.80 where they are rated.

that cam is not that big....same duration and lift I ran on a hughes cam with eddy heads for years...If you have forged pistons with notches in them...you will not have any valve to piston clearance problems.....just remember it is not the max lift that matters...it is when camshaft is in the overlap period that the valves get close to the piston...and duration will play a bigger part.

I am amused that people purchase an item from a manufacturer and then ask everybody but them about what things work with them. I would think that the people who make the head would be best qualified to answer your question. They have spent thousands of dollars and lots of parts when designing an item like a cylinder head. You trusted them to buy their product. Try to trust them with their advice since they have skin in the game so to speak and the others don't. IMO

-
Back