Another fix with JB weld

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I use JB weld for quite a bit of potmetal repair. If the parts are prepped good it works very well. I had a thermostat housing that was corroded to ****, but solid enough to fix. Thinking this is a great idea in a pinch, especially for our overseas members who may not have access to a replacement cheaply and easily.

I wanted to see if i could actually repair it. Now i know i can just buy another, and was able to secure a good used one from another Fabo member for not too much coin, but i still wanted to see if i could actually fix this one. I feel this thread can be used for a lot of different stuff thats pitted.

After sandblasting the part to pitted clean metal, i mixed up the JB weld epoxy and applied it. Once dry, i sanded it to shape, and applied more to the low spots, cured, and sanded it smooth again, then sprayed the end result inside and out with multiple coats of a fluid resistant epoxy primer made by Akzo Noble. This stuff is tough as nails and its really doubtful this thermostat housing will corrode any further after this. All it needs now is a scuff, and some engine enamel. I will keep this as a spare in case needed.

I can also see the value in this being used to repair corroded and pitted thermostat housing mating flanges on aluminum intake manifolds once they are sandblasted clean.

Hope this helps
Matt

20181220_074332.jpg

20181220_074320.jpg

20181220_083837.jpg

20181220_083844.jpg

20181225_183920.jpg

20181226_110619.jpg

20181226_140604.jpg

20181226_153148.jpg

20181226_153203.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen water pumps,rebuilt new in the box,with body filler on the hose connections.

Nice repair! Doesn't JB Weld get soft when heated up?

Cley
I dunno, i put it under a heat lamp to dry it quickly. It seemed pretty hard to me. Heck farmers glue tractor blocks back together with it lol. On a mating flange area with a gasket and sealant, it will probably hold up a long time.

The other key to making this stuff hard as a rock is making sure you have an exact even mixture of the base and the hardener. If you use a small digital scale and weigh just the contents and not the little square of cardboard on the scale that you intend to mix it on, you can get an exact 1 to 1 mix. Sometimes when this stuff gets soft its because the initial mix ratio is not correct. Too much hardener or base will do that to it.

I could write a book on what I've repaired with just two products. One is JBWeld and the other deoxit.

I dunno, i put it under a heat lamp to dry it quickly. It seemed pretty hard to me. Heck farmers glue tractor blocks back together with it lol. On a mating flange area with a gasket and sealant, it will probably hold up a long time.

It's lasted for 5 years on mine so far without a problem, as I really wanted to use an aluminum water neck I had that was pitted like that.
When it gets hot it just gets harder from what I have noticed, and I only use sealer with no gasket.
Gaskets eventually seep.

I am a big fan of the paper gasket and indian head shellac on this area. Plus its paintable.

Last edited:
I could write a book on what I've repaired with just two products. One is JBWeld and the other deoxit.
I'me with you there, on that one.
All the things repaired with JB Weld, in my automobile mechanics world.
Great product.

I got a dirt bike with that stuff slathered on the bottom of the case
Doesn't leak a drop though, and hasn't in the 5 plus years I've owned it

JBWeld is the shiznit!!!!!

When I was working ammonia refrigeration, I used it to "fix" a stripped out head-bolt on an old Vilter piston-type ammonia compressor. Bolt size was 1 1/8", hole in the block was stripped out....drilled the hole out to remove all remaining threads, cleaned the hole with solvent and blown out with air gun, then completely filled the hole with JBWeld and let it set and cure for three days. Came back, marked the center of the hole and re-drilled and tapped it out. Re-installed the head and torqued the bolts down to 195 lbs....and that compressor is still running to this day.

My friend had a 200 straight 6 maverick that kept blowing the #2 plug out. I put some JBWeld on my pinky, squished it on the spark plug threads, put the plug in and torqued. Sit overnight and he drove that car another 30k miles before the gas tank fell out due to a severe rusted trunk. The days of trying to keep a beater on the road.

Angel II Tulsa.jpg
Nicely done repair...I'll add my little testament...I build, fly and compete with control line stunt model airplanes. One of my planes has an engine exhaust muffler with a modified pipe. I reamed the pipe (a bunch) to decrease unwanted back pressure, however the pipe (which is part of the muffler and not removable) was almost a thin as foil. I built it up with JB and baked it in the oven. I've lost count of the total engines runs over the past ten years and the muffler and pipe are still truckin.
Norm

Last edited:
I have done other repairs to potmetal pieces. After that you can either monochrome them (paint body color) or get them done with spray on silver nitrate (spectrachrome) you can salvage a lot of stuff that would otherwise be junk.

Keep em coming, what else have you JB welded on your ride ??

I remember the old corner auto parts store i used to go to back when i was in my teens and early 20s had a display for JB weld. It was a glass soda bottle with red liquid in it, had a golf ball jb welded to the top to hold the liquid inside, and was glued to a wooden base with it, and had a peg hook glued to the side of it. The little jb weld packages hung on the peg hook. Then the advertisement on the package was over the top.

Glues, glass. Aluminum, steel, plastic, wood, ceramic. Can be drilled, tapped, sanded, and machined to a feather. Then the product review on the package. The guy in Nebraska or somewhere else in the midwest talking about how he glued his tractor engine block with it. Well as a teenager, that made a believer out of me. I bought my first package of JB back then. Been finding uses for that **** since.

So i go into oriellys and now they have it in toothpaste sized tubes lol. This stuff is magic ****. I find uses for it all the time. Had a rearview mirror base thats glued to a windshield that wouldent stay on even with the special glue kit your supposed to use. I JB welded that mirror mount. Worked like a charm lol.

Last edited:
Stuff is great. Been using PC-6 a lot lately It is good when you need a really solid repair. You can drill and tap it if needed.

When I made the dock for my phone I covered the bottom of the phone with saran wrap then plugged the charging cord and headphones into the phone through the plastic.
Then filled the bottom of an extra phone case with JB and let it sit over night to set up and pulled the phone out leaving both cable ends.
Then I wired the other ends into the car.
Now I get in the car and pop my phone into the new base and it connects the charger built into the car as well as the audio out at the same time.

Basically made a phone dock that no one makes with JB weld.
(I couldn't find one like this for sale anywhere, so I made one)

That 15 minute set up time stuff by Loctite is just as good, and sets up WAY faster.
I use that quite a bit.

Repaired the hard plastic cover where the release button goes in my Dodge Dakota driver's side seat belt a couple of years ago now.

-
Back