Another head swap question.

-

nick360

Reaction score
I am new to this group, and have never been in anyother groups. I have a 1985 slant six out of a truck. Hydraulic lifter. And have a head that had just been gone through of a 1967 225. Was hoping to swap heads. But I don't know if you can transfer the rocker assembly from the 1985 (peanut plugs) head to the 1967 head (tube type). Will this create issues? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Nick

Looks like a great place to start. THANKS
I can't believe he just plugged another forum and sent you there.
The the later '85 head uses a necked down bolt to allow oiling to the shaft.
It is the rear bolt 'back of head'.
So use the '85 shaft hold down bolts in the proper order as mentioned 'skinnier/necked down bolt goes in the back toward firewall'..you're good.
Here's the part where somebody from.org will come over and correct everything I say with quotes from factory manuals.lol
Fwiw 1st motor I ever built was a 225, hoped up. Made my own windage tray...cross drilled the crank, ported head.. mopar cam, mopar header..ported 2 brl intake. Fun little motors and last if you just change the oil and keep an eye on the lash, better yet.. install hard seats.

I can't believe he just plugged another forum and sent you there.
The the later '85 head uses a necked down bolt to allow oiling to the shaft.
It is the rear bolt 'back of head'.
So use the '85 shaft hold down bolts in the proper order as mentioned 'skinnier/necked down bolt goes in the back toward firewall'..you're good.
Here's the part where somebody from.org will come over and correct everything I say with quotes from factory manuals.lol
Fwiw 1st motor I ever built was a 225, hoped up. Made my own windage tray...cross drilled the crank, ported head.. mopar cam, mopar header..ported 2 brl intake. Fun little motors and last if you just change the oil and keep an eye on the lash, better yet.. install hard seats.
Thanks, you guys have helped a lot. There will be a lot more questions in the future.

I am new to this group, and have never been in anyother groups. I have a 1985 slant six out of a truck. Hydraulic lifter. And have a head that had just been gone through of a 1967 225. Was hoping to swap heads. But I don't know if you can transfer the rocker assembly from the 1985 (peanut plugs) head to the 1967 head (tube type). Will this create issues? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Nick
Use the complete 85 rocker assy on the 67 head, except for the rear most rocker shaft mounting bolt. Need to use the 1967 bolt and drill out the bottom of the rear shaft mount bolt hole, so the larger diameter bolt will go through. When mounting the shaft make sure the rocker oiling holes in the shaft point down. You will also need to use the 1967 type rocker cover and gasket.

Last edited:
What Charlie said. I had to do that on an 82 /6 my dad had, back in the late 80s.

Thanks, you guys have helped a lot. There will be a lot more questions in the future.
My reply is for using theb 85 head on the older block. I read it as ..you were using the 67 rockers on it but like i originally led on.. the hold down bolts for each head must be retained regardless of rocker shaft...and as Charles points out the rearest hole would need enlarged on the 85 shaft to fit the '67 bolt.

It would be nice to use the 1967 rockers since they are adjustable. That is mandatory for solid lifters but nice too for hydraulics to adjust the preload, such as if the head is milled and don't want to buy custom-length pushrods. But, I understand the hydraulic lifters received oil via the rocker arms and thru the pushrods. Unlike most engines with hydraulic lifters, there is no oil supply to the lifter bores. At least what I recall reading.

-
Back