Another lawn mower repair tip

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
The plastic flap on the back of the mower that keeps stones from zapping your legs can be replaced with a piece of doormat. Mine was long gone so I bought a 4.89 rubber doormat (could use anything heavy and pliable I suppose) and a bag of #6 machine screws and nuts. Cut the flap out and use a soldering iron to burn 8 holes in the plastic hinge of what's left of the stone guard and through the mat. Use the screws to fasten. Worked great. Fixed for less than $6. The 8" replacement wheels were $12 a piece at Home depot and I got the heavier duty ones at HF for less than $6 a piece. Same 8x1.75 on a 1/2 axle.
20220118_142500.jpg
20220118_142720.jpg
20220118_142753.jpg

Those guards are no joke. I had a good friend who was cutting his grass. The blade picked up a long piece of safety wire that was hiding in the grass. The wire shot out and buried itself in my friend's foot. He was wearing jogging shoes at the time. The wire had gone through his shoe and into his foot about 3/4 of an inch. He said it felt like a bullet had hit his foot. His Dad had to pull it out with vice grips because plyers wouldn't move the wire at all. And yes, he let out a loud yell when his Dad pulled the wire out of his foot.

I have heard some bad things about HF but never thought they would sell tires with dog turds on them.:poke:

-
Back