Another newbie oil question

-

ozmoparjoe

Reaction score
Hello from down under (Australia :p ), i would like your opinions on this oil i have in my a833 o/d (see pic). the climate here in Melbourne is anywhere from 9 to 14C (48 to 57F), in the winter and anywhere from 18 to 45C (65 to 113F) in the summer, not that I'd drive my car in those extreme conditions but just to give an idea. So do you think this oil will do or should i go for something different?
The only real issue i have is when the car is still cold, it's sometimes a little hard to go into 2nd from 3rd.
Thanks in advance.
s-l1600.jpg

Hello from down under (Australia :p ), i would like your opinions on this oil i have in my a833 o/d (see pic). the climate here in Melbourne is anywhere from 9 to 14C (48 to 57F), in the winter and anywhere from 18 to 45C (65 to 113F) in the summer, not that I'd drive my car in those extreme conditions but just to give an idea. So do you think this oil will do or should i go for something different?
The only real issue i have is when the car is still cold, it's sometimes a little hard to go into 2nd from 3rd.
Thanks in advance.

Supposedly synthetic oil can cause difficult shifting if your transmission does not have syncro rings that are machined for use with synthetic oil.

With the temperatures in your area, I would run gl4 85w90 or even 140w if you are running it in 100+degree weather.

Thanks in advance.View attachment 1715466847

I my opinion your trans will let you know what works best.
Trial and error is about the only way to know how a specific oil works in your transmission.
Slick Shift oil for example, works great in some transmissions and not so well in others of the same model.
Being hard to downshift when cold is a perfect example, because what causes that is the syncro ring is not able to stop the gear right away so it can engage.
This is usually to do with oil type and viscosity.
Trying to force it anyway can cause gear crunching on engagement.

I use 50% ATF, and 50% dino 75W90 full time year 'round.
I highly recommend against a FULL synthetic. I modded my cones and rings to use that stuff, cuz I really wanted to use it. After three times in and out, I quit trying and went back to my tried and true 50/50 and the trans shifted like lightening.
But there are guys here on FABO, that are using a Redline-brand synthetic manual-trans specific oil, and are having good results; go figure.
I forget what year it was but there was a time when 100% ATF was recommended, and mine works really well with that. I only use the gear-oil to protect the cluster pin which, with over 400hp going into the trans at times, is very heavily loaded. At last inspection, the pin was in very good condition.

-
Back