Another question for truckers about a diesel..

-

grassy

Reaction score
Folks,

Looking at a 1996 Freightliner with a Cummins 8.3L diesel, Banks aftermarket turbo, Banks exhaust brake system.

It has @ 210,000 miles on it. I think it may have the P pump..

How many miles is it good for ? Does anyone know any major problems with it ?

Anyone from Mn here ? :)

Thanks
Grassy

There is also a question about "aftermarket engine upgrades making it into something it's not".

Will they be a problem.. ?

I don't have any experience with the aftermarket add ons but just sold a 96 Freightliner with 428,000 on it with nothing but general oil changes done to it in the time we had it. The only real issue we had were some of the gauges working intermittently and having to make some ramps on the inside of the doors so the windows would go up. After awhile the doors get a little distorted and the bottom lip of the window track hangs up, preventing it from going up all the way

This should be an C engine Keep the fuel filters changed the injection pump is a bosch P pump the only issue with them is sometimes the throttle shaft seal will leak oil and check and make sure the air compressor hardware is installed and tight including the rear support or you will end up with a broken timing housing. By the way this engine has wet sleeves and can be rebuilt inframe as long as there is no crank damage.

Brian

I know a Mack cab over with a Big Cam Cummins that went 1,000,000 miles.

for a midsize Freightliner I would look for something with aCummins L10 or M11 you really can't go wrong with their those engines are very simple very strong and long lasting stay away from the mechanical nest cáceres look more towards select or esp esp plusand don't forget to make sure it's backed up by a solid transmissiongood luck

Front cab mounts check them good make sure they are not cracked and insulators are in place

I'm assuming you're looking at an FL series. You wanted that for dragging your 5th wheel if memory serves. The FL can be had in varying degrees of trim . They can also be had in a 4 door. Again, front cab mounts are a real weak link in that cab. If you find one with air-ride all the better. Freightliner offered those with Detroit Diesel series 50 , yes , series 50. Look into. You'll be surprised. Fuel economy kicks *** too. Big torque. Decent HP with good mileage. Back that up with an Allison World trans and a Spicer rear You'll be pretty happy . Good luck.

we have a fleet of 8.3/5.9 cummins in our fl 60/80 stay with the 97 and down if you are on a tight budget they are not computer controlled and much cheaper to fix ,we are having lotts of problems with the electronic wiring falling apart to all the controls, the engines are great and will run forever with the biggest problem from wore out head gaskets our fleet has about 80 of these.

-
Back