Another rookie question for the pros- visual transmission Identification

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I'm going to check out a motor/transmission combo this weekend. The guy selling the parts doesn't know anything about them since they belonged to his father who recently passed away...

I suspect the transmission is a 727... but will I be able to tell by looking at it?

I have seen 727s kicking around my Pop's garage all my life but they had the big block case (belonging to his GTX)...so I'm sure they look different.

The 904 in my Dart hasn't been out of the car since it was on the assembly line so I've never had a good look at it for reference.

Thanks for any tips.
Mike

One of the easy ways to tell the difference is look down behind where the engine bolts to the transmission, about 6 or so inches below where the distributor goes, the 904 has a pronounced ''wrinkle'' on the outside of the case where the top tapered part meets the bottom horizontal gearset part, and the 727 is smooth. The 904 kinda looks like it was dropped on end when the aluminum was still hot if you can imagine that. The 727 is markedly larger than the 904 including the pan.The tail shaft is longer on a 727 too. Some vans and trucks have a really short tail shaft, but it is pretty obvious. These are just at a glance visuals.
All big blocks had the 727 if it was an automatic.
Someone will come up with pictures i'm sure......

One of the easy ways to tell the difference is look down behind where the engine bolts to the transmission, about 6 or so inches below where the distributor goes, the 904 has a pronounced ''wrinkle'' on the outside of the case where the top tapered part meets the bottom horizontal gearset part, and the 727 is smooth. The 904 kinda looks like it was dropped on end when the aluminum was still hot if you can imagine that. The 727 is markedly larger than the 904 including the pan.The tail shaft is longer on a 727 too. These are just at a glance visuals.
Someone will come up with pictures i'm sure......

Thanks.... this actually helps a lot!

Here is a video of the 2 together, hope it helps

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boSrL3CqkS0"]727 904 Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

Easy way to tell is also the shape of the pan and/or gasket. The 727 has a pronounced sort of bulged or rounded corner, the 904 is more squared corners all around:

See Below:

727-904_zps5182555f.png

Easy way to tell is also the shape of the pan and/or gasket. The 727 has a pronounced sort of bulged or rounded corner, the 904 is more squared corners all around:

See Below:

727-904_zps5182555f.png

Thank you for posting this roughidle, I saved it to help anyone with this question, I looked high and low for a gasket pictures and you came threw :cheers:

-
Back