Anybody building/ racing a First gen Dakota??

-

mopar65

Reaction score
hi was just wondering if anybody besides me building or racing a 87-96 Dodge Dakota? If so I would love to learn about your build etc.
I have started building a 91 SB 2 wheel drive Dakota sport. Mine was a factory V8 truck. After I got the truck home, I found out the cab mounts etc are Rusted out. I allready got the SB frame painted. So I found a rust free 87 long bed that I am going to take the cab off and put on my 91 frame. I allmost have the front end rebuilt. Just have to install the brake caliper, hoses and front brake lines.
For a rear axle I was going to use a 8.8 out of a exploder.
I don’t have the money for a complete caltract set up. So going to have to try and make the stock springs work. So thinking about taking out the over load springs out and kind of making them like a super stock spring. Any body have any advice or a better way to make the truck hook. My truck should run around 11.00-11.20 in the 1/4. That is if I can get it to hook. Lol

CCC70B61-FCD0-4472-8D24-4B6D1A88C5F7.png

611762B0-31C5-42DF-A251-5DDAC69A8C7D.jpeg

B588E59B-872B-444B-94E9-D9B83626245B.jpeg

C0E5CF55-DAAB-4700-8CF8-E2EDF25FBB58.jpeg

Pics? I love those body dakotas my buddy had one in high school with a 318 it was pretty quick to be a stock Dakota. We flipped it on a backroad racing a camero (I wasn't driving) totaling it. We was ok but the frame on the Dakota was bent.

Omg that blue one is exactly like the one i was talking about same color same stripe! That pic brings back memories!

Mine has a different stripe but same color blue. Trying to find rust free body parts is a pain in the ace

Pics? I love those body dakotas my buddy had one in high school with a 318 it was pretty quick to be a stock Dakota. We flipped it on a backroad racing a camero (I wasn't driving) totaling it. We was ok but the frame on the Dakota was bent.
Sorry to hear about the other one getting wrecked. I have allways wanted to build a street/strip Dakota ever sense I saw one at the drag strip a long time I ago. Now that A/B body’s. Are getting so damn $$$ exspenseive. I decided to build a Dakota. Lol

Omg that blue one is exactly like the one i was talking about same color same stripe! That pic brings back memories!
Too Funny. Latter on I wNt to paint mine back to the factory Blue. I want it to look like this when I am Done.

702095FB-5700-4196-A12F-04A0369E4274.png

What are the details in the chassis differences in the 1st/ 2nd gen Dakotas? Differences in suspension, etc? How bout "room in the engine bay?" Is the 1st better/ worse than 2nd in that regard?

Mine has a different stripe but same color blue. Trying to find rust free body parts is a pain in the ace

I hear ya on finding rust free Body parts. Wear do you live and what body parts are you looking for? The 87 I bought is in a lot better shape than my 91. If it was a short bed I would of just built it. Lol

What are the details in the chassis differences in the 1st/ 2nd gen Dakotas? Differences in suspension, etc? How bout "room in the engine bay?" Is the 1st better/ worse than 2nd in that regard?
I can’t Answer about the 2 gen because I have never owned one. But I think the 1 gens are lighter. I know In 91 they did redid the radiator core support, there is more room to run a mechanical fan. I am not sure but I think on the 87 to 89 or 90 if you put a V8 in one, you had to use a electric cooling fan. No room for a stock fan. My friend races a 87 with a gen 3 Hemi

Here is a pic of the 87 right after I washed all the dirt etc off it. I only paid $175 for the whole truck

0D180CC9-903F-4EEB-A71D-9DD3844ACE10.jpeg

B75A381C-C15E-4672-B7E0-D7642C25D761.jpeg

I have a 87 LB 4wd. I put a 8.8 out of a explorer in mine.... Here is a link to the swap. Installed a 8.8 rear and more!! - DodgeForum.com
In addition, I put a nv3500 transmission, and plan this winter to put a 5.9 magnum in it.
The swap is about as straight forward as a swap can be. The explorer rear is about 2.5 in. narrow compared to the orig. 8.25 in the truck.

Good luck and I look forward to watching your progress.

I hear ya on finding rust free Body parts. Wear do you live and what body parts are you looking for? The 87 I bought is in a lot better shape than my 91. If it was a short bed I would of just built it. Lol
I'm in Kansas city. I need a cab and short bed

I have a 87 LB 4wd. I put a 8.8 out of a explorer in mine.... Here is a link to the swap. Installed a 8.8 rear and more!! - DodgeForum.com
In addition, I put a nv3500 transmission, and plan this winter to put a 5.9 magnum in it.
The swap is about as straight forward as a swap can be. The explorer rear is about 2.5 in. narrow compared to the orig. 8.25 in the truck.

Good luck and I look forward to watching your progress.[/QUOT
Thanks for the link that’s a cool build. Did you reuse the factory perporional valve? I am going to install a line lock on mine. So thinking about removing mine and just add a adjustable one for the rear disc brakes

How much are Cal-Tracs going for?

I've got a set I pulled from a JY a few years ago that I'm probably never going to use.

One front mount plate is missing because I couldn't get the last bolt out, but it's just flat 3/16 plate with holes I think.

The truck I pulled them from was interesting-

98 short cab all black 5.2 5 speed with R/T wheels, an R/T 3.92 SG 9 1/4, the cal-tracs, and a brand new clutch behind the seat.

How much are Cal-Tracs going for?

I've got a set I pulled from a JY a few years ago that I'm probably never going to use.

One front mount plate is missing because I couldn't get the last bolt out, but it's just flat 3/16 plate with holes I think.

The truck I pulled them from was interesting-

98 short cab all black 5.2 5 speed with R/T wheels, an R/T 3.92 SG 9 1/4, the cal-tracs, and a brand new clutch behind the seat.
The whole kit is around $1000

I know a guy that stuffef a Viper engine in a swb 2wd Sport.
1 day he was in the shop and right next to his Dakota was parked a Ford Lightning... guys were talking about how fast the lightning was and I just said " that little Dakota would eat the Ford"...they all thought I was crazy till I popped his hood !..lol
Chuck took me for a drive and that thing could get no traction

AFADBAA4-F830-4FD5-8F2D-F7920811F423.jpeg
I have an 88 with a 400. Formerly a 440 in it. Have the motor out again to mate a different 727. Mounts are spool over the crossmember with a considerable, maybe 3” offset to the pass side. The mounts on motor are spool and cut so the mount is offset forward. I plan on tubbing it. Planning to mount spring hangers on bottom of frame, boxed in.

Last edited:
hi was just wondering if anybody besides me building or racing a 87-96 Dodge Dakota? If so I would love to learn about your build etc.
I have started building a 91 SB 2 wheel drive Dakota sport. Mine was a factory V8 truck. After I got the truck home, I found out the cab mounts etc are Rusted out. I allready got the SB frame painted. So I found a rust free 87 long bed that I am going to take the cab off and put on my 91 frame. I allmost have the front end rebuilt. Just have to install the brake caliper, hoses and front brake lines.
For a rear axle I was going to use a 8.8 out of a exploder.
I don’t have the money for a complete caltract set up. So going to have to try and make the stock springs work. So thinking about taking out the over load springs out and kind of making them like a super stock spring. Any body have any advice or a better way to make the truck hook. My truck should run around 11.00-11.20 in the 1/4. That is if I can get it to hook. Lol
Two words; mega wheelhop?
Help me out here; you have 450/500 hp engine .................................................. but you can't afford Caltracs..........

I had a good friend that passed away, way too young.
Anyways his dad finished the truck, 413, 727, its nice.
I will see if I can find some pics.

Wheel hop ? The Viper powered truck had no wheel hop.

The wheels were spinning way too fast to hop !...
Lol

Two words; mega wheelhop?
Help me out here; you have 450/500 hp engine .................................................. but you can't afford Caltracs..........
Yes at this time. I can’t afford the caltracs because I have to buy other parts for the truck. I bought the engine off my Friend last year.

I had a good friend that passed away, way too young.
Anyways his dad finished the truck, 413, 727, its nice.
I will see if I can find some pics.
Very sorry to hear about your friend. Pics would me nice. Thanks for posting them

My friend I got the engine off of has a 87 Dakota he races and he doesn’t have any wheel hop. But he has the caltract set up. Lol

-
Back